Smith And Wesson Forums banner

.410 Double

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  azmick 
#1 ·
There were several interesting threads on .410s on the old forum so I thought I'd start another one here. I'm a big fan of using .410s within their limitations - which really isn't very limited. They just require a higher level of shotgun expertise than the bigger bores.

One of my grandads bought this Iver Johnson double in the mid 1930s - at the height of the Great Depression. It was furnished with the then-new 3" chambers, extra fancy straight-gripped stock, and ejectors. It had been an unsolved family mystery until recently as to why he spent so much money on a luxury item at that time. (I'll tell that story later on.)

He handed it off to me in 1961, and it has been my very special game-getter ever since. Whenever I get a chance to hunt evening doves at a stock tank, all other shotguns get left behind. For the longest time, it was my only firearm larger than a .22, and besides bringing home many, many doves and quail, it served duty for things larger, too. I hesitate to mention the number of ducks it has dispatched - humanely, and I really hesitate to mention whitetail deer. When loaded up with slugs, it was my very own little .41 cal. double rifle. :)

It's a lively and handy shotgun and weighs less than 5#.

Anyone else have a nice .410 and love them like I do?

xtm

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice looking little .410, I really like that straight stock. I like a .410 too. I use a Remington 11-48 for rabbit and early season doves. It is also a pretty good slug gun. Holding five slugs, it is very easy to fire and recover for additional shots. The nice thing about using the .410 is that you never lose sight of your target due to recoil. I detest the price of factory .410 shells but I do reload .410's. Most of the .410's I load are copper plated 5's and 6's. I have some copper plated lead shot left over from pre-steel days that I'm slowly using up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.