Smith And Wesson Forums banner

.410 Double

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  azmick 
#1 ·
There were several interesting threads on .410s on the old forum so I thought I'd start another one here. I'm a big fan of using .410s within their limitations - which really isn't very limited. They just require a higher level of shotgun expertise than the bigger bores.

One of my grandads bought this Iver Johnson double in the mid 1930s - at the height of the Great Depression. It was furnished with the then-new 3" chambers, extra fancy straight-gripped stock, and ejectors. It had been an unsolved family mystery until recently as to why he spent so much money on a luxury item at that time. (I'll tell that story later on.)

He handed it off to me in 1961, and it has been my very special game-getter ever since. Whenever I get a chance to hunt evening doves at a stock tank, all other shotguns get left behind. For the longest time, it was my only firearm larger than a .22, and besides bringing home many, many doves and quail, it served duty for things larger, too. I hesitate to mention the number of ducks it has dispatched - humanely, and I really hesitate to mention whitetail deer. When loaded up with slugs, it was my very own little .41 cal. double rifle. :)

It's a lively and handy shotgun and weighs less than 5#.

Anyone else have a nice .410 and love them like I do?

xtm

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.