Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to help out a friend who wants a 950-1000 fps load using cast bullet and .41 Mag brass.

Anybody have any favorite loads in that range that are on the order of 2" at 50 yards that they'd like to share?

When the .41 Mag came out, it had a 1000 fps "police" loading but I don't thing I ever saw a box of those and the loading books we have only show full-house magnum loads.

Thanks.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
I have 210 grain cast LSWC over 8 gr Unique as my favorite target load for 41 mag.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
When I got my Model 58 in 1965 I found the Remington High Velocity load was great but the Remington lead police load was terrible. I went on a loading search for a replacement. I got a lot of Speer 220 gr copper jacket bullets and home cast lyman mold 41028 lead bullets. I tried every powder I could find but the best load I found was 10 gr HERCO powder over a cci large primer. It was accurate, clean and mild recoil with either bullet. I do not know what I will do for reloads after I finish up my HERCO powder.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I got my Model 58 in 1965 I found the Remington High Velocity load was great but the Remington lead police load was terrible. I went on a loading search for a replacement. I got a lot of Speer 220 gr copper jacket bullets and home cast lyman mold 41028 lead bullets. I tried every powder I could find but the best load I found was 10 gr HERCO powder over a cci large primer. It was accurate, clean and mild recoil with either bullet. I do not know what I will do for reloads after I finish up my HERCO powder.
Thanks for the info. FWIW, Grafs has HERCO on sale right now.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I used to compete in IPSC Revolver class with a M-57. My best load was 6.7 gn Unique/225 gn cast "Keith type" SWC.
VERY mild, made "major" on the ballistic pendulum. When I got a 41 Mag Contender bbl and put a red dot on it..I found out how really accurate my "go to" load is..!! Sitting on sandbags...I get "one-ragged hole" with (almost) boring consistency.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here are a few web pages that provide .41 Special data:

1. http://www.sixguns.com/tests/tt41spec.htm

2. Reloading for .41 Caliber Handguns: .41 Mag and .41 Special | Rifle, Handgun, and Pistol Brass

3. Ready For The .41 Special?

Lastly, this is an article from Handloader Magazine on the .41 Magnum, but some of the provided light loads are in the speed ranger you're looking for:

4. http://buffalobore.net/HandloaderFeb2003.pdf

I haven't tried any of the listed loads, but I thought they might help you in your search for reliable data. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,779 Posts
I have 210 grain cast LSWC over 8 gr Unique as my favorite target load for 41 mag.
Unique in the 7-9 grain range works well as a mild load in many cartridges. I've use it for .45 Colt for CAS shooting, .44 Spl and ".41 Special", that I load in Starline .41 Special cases.

Reactions: cp1969 and 45acp230
1 - 13 of 13 Posts