Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not looking for free reloading data. I have data from half dozen sources. Found a very accurate load in Berry’s plated 165 grain Bullets. Last batch of HS-6 with .57 Lee auto disk yielded consistent 7.7-7.8 grains. Brand new batch of powder is 8.0-8.1. 8.1 is Hodgdon’s listed max for this exact bullet. (My OAL is about .006” longer) I saw no signs of excess pressure with the 7.8. I just usually don’t load near max. Don’t own a chronograph. Anybody else have experience with this combo or something close? Humidity is high right now so maybe that affects the weight of the charge or could be just variations between batches of powder. Data from Lyman with 175 grain lead would suggest I have a little margin.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well here is an update. Never thought of this. The top of the disk had a small nick that raised a burr. I gently flattened the top of it with a file and now am back down to the 7.7 - 7.8 range. I’ve sanded out the ID of the holes in these before to get an exact charge I want but didn’t think about the top and bottom of the disk. Make sure there is no raised burr or even sand it down to adjust the charge. This is for a Lee autodisk powder measure.
C7A5F53C-87B3-4FCD-BC4D-361CBB0F1E6B.jpeg

1 - 2 of 2 Posts