Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got to take some pictures of it, so here they are. :)

Sorry about the oil blotchiness, but I had but one t-shirt to give to the forum. Enjoy!:D

·
Registered
8,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't believe I have even heard of a 547. It certainly does look effective.Being mooclip fed gives it a leg up on a model 10,in my opinion.
No moonclips on these :) It has an extractor for rimless cartridges.

·
Registered
8,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There isn't spacing for them. The cartridges sit flush with the back of the cylinder.

·
Super Moderator
35,608 Posts
I'll take it! :giggle: (y) :D
So would I but I would be like on Pawn Star, it is worth this, but I can only offer...

Sort of like the beautiful examples of engraved pistols Dave shares here....well, not only does it have some scratches it is scratched all over, so I can only offer....

·
Registered
504 Posts
I had the three inch round butt version. The rimless extractor was a nice touch. If I remember correctly, these were made to try to get a contract for police in France. They didn't get the contract. I liked mine, but rarely shot it. I gave it to a good friend who thought it was very cool.
I knew they made a four inch version, but have never seen one. Yours looks to be in wonderful shape.

·
Registered
8,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had the three inch round butt version. The rimless extractor was a nice touch. If I remember correctly, these were made to try to get a contract for police in France. They didn't get the contract. I liked mine, but rarely shot it. I gave it to a good friend who thought it was very cool.
I knew they made a four inch version, but have never seen one. Yours looks to be in wonderful shape.
Thanks! According to the Standard Catalog they made 6486 3" RB versions and 3784 4" square butts. So about half as common.

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
26,235 Posts
I had heard they were also ordered by the Israelis to arm the local Palestinian police:

S&W 547 9mm Revolver
S&W 547 9mm Revolver Produced 1980 – 1985 A little over 10,000 was produced in two different models. This is the round butt variant of which about 6486 were made. Making the 4inch barrel square butt model even more sparse. It is rumored this was produced for the Palestinian and possibly the French police force. It is also said to be one of the most expensive revolvers to manufacture due to the clips that allow the ejection of all 6 rounds without moonclips.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Neat revolvers IMHO. I had a 3" version, two actually, but traded or sold them before I had any idea they would become collectable one day. That undoubtedly expensive extractor worked perfectly on my guns. Even the high pressure 9MM ammunition extracted without issue. You may have already found that the unique 547 firing pin leaves an unusual indent in spent primers, and the limit pin above it will leave an impression on the case head. Anyway, you have an interesting revolver unlikely to ever be produced again, enjoy(y)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts