Registered
10,921 Posts
The 19-1 suprises me
They must have had a bunch of frames piled up

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Bill,

I have an interesting small sub-collection of PRE-MODEL MARKED 4-screw K's ..... Mostly pre-10's pre-14's and a lone pre-17.

I'll dig out my catalog tomorrow and post a few serial numbers....

Agreed..... Neat theme.

Drew

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hey Bill, the 13-1 was introduced in 1974, and flipped to the 13-2 in 1977 per "the book". It doesn't appear that there were any 13 no dashers, as that designation (model 13) had already been used for the Aircrewman for the USAF. If you have a 4 screw model 13-1 you have a rare bird indeed!! :shock: If so, I'd be betting someone besides S&W drilled and tapped that 4th hole! ;)

Also, we need pictures of an N frame spread of yours! You know, like that day you saw the top of my pool table!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hello Bill
Excellent subject here, here is a Model marked 48 No Dash which is a 4 screw that has a serial of 42017X and shipped in June 1961. I changed out the Hammer for the Old School Fish Hook style and added a wide Target trigger as well, Placing the Originals in the box it came in..Regards, Hammerdown

G

·
0 Posts
Bill,

I too am aware of that statement that Roy just made.... :mrgreen:

I am now of the opinion that a Model 28 is out there that is simply not marked as a dash one.

Based on observation over the years, the -1 model variation would best be described: 4-screw frame, extractor rod with a left-hand thread as evidenced by a small relief cut behind the knurled tip, "L" stamped on the rear surface of the cylinder, stamped MOD.XX-1 in the yoke cut.

I am only talking about models of revolvers that were stamped -1 when the extractor rod threads were changed from right-hand to left-hand as directed by the engineering change dated December 22, 1959.

Bill Cross has made the following observation to me....

The engineering directive to change the thread direction on the extractor rod (RH to LH) was issued on December 22, 1959 and took approximately two years to implement (based on what we know today...and it may change when more revolvers are discovered and documented). The engineering directive to implement the improved cylinder stop that resulted in the elimination of the cylinder stop plunger screw (i.e. 4-screw frame to 3-screw frame) was issued on November 28, 1961 and was implemented much more quickly as revolvers with a 3-screw frame began to be shipped in early 1962. That is why (I believe) Model 29-1s have a 3-screw frame as S&W had old style extractor rods and cylinders, but had made the switch to the 3-screw frame and used up the old cylinders and extractor rods on the "new" frames. I am not sure why these guns were actually stamped MOD. 29-1 in the yoke cut, but they were.

As far as I know there are at least two 29-1's that have the three screw frame...and the known number of .44's in dash one is hovering around the number 30.... ;)

Here is my 27-1 in a 3.5 inch barrel length. It is a 4 Screw model. And, as close as I am to bagging the elusive 28-1, currently.... ;)

giz

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Bill,

Here's a list of my Non Model Marked, 4-screw K's.

K269,42X PRE-17
K315,24X PRE-18
K265,01X PRE-17
C402,78X PRE-10
K312,32X PRE-14

There may be one or two others here (at least one more M&P I think) that I haven't logged in or found yet this morning.... but as I said it's a small sub-collection....

Do we have any potential matches? ;)

Drew

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
RdrBill said:
Drew:

Could be your luck to have the early 3 digit K22 and the early 4 screw K22. You may lead a charmed life as a S&W collector.

My latest 5 screw is a K22 6 inch, .500 target hammer, service trigger, and small relief walnut diamond target grips. It is in good condition. Think I will go find a camera and some light and make a pic. Post it later. WORLDS LATEST KNOWN 5 SCREW K22
Bill
Bill.... you rubbing salt in my wounds? :)

Only another K22 nut would recognize the earliest 4-screw. Then again, I think you stole my thunder in telling you so!.... :shock:

Charming though I am, I think that nearly 40 years of focused collecting probably has more to do with my successes ...

Drew

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Gizamo said:
Oh Pleaseeee......You Two.

Get a room... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

giz

You're just jealous because your not a K-22 expert this week.... :D

G

·
0 Posts
Bill,

Just to add some confusion to your research....

My 27-1 that I posted is the only one I've seen that has Model 29-1 characteristics.

It is a Right Hand thread ejector rod and the cylinder rear face is not marked with an L stamp. So my gun runs counter to the Engineering Change even though it is yoke stamped as a 27-1.

I have the earliest N-Frame 44 Mag with a LH extractor rod in my collection, if anybody cares... SN is 177XXX and it is a 4 Screw and the cylinder is stamped to the gun. :mrgreen:

That ought to blow a few minds...

giz

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I have a few 4 screw's to.A mod 10 Sn.C5247xx,a mod 14-Sn.K4364xx.3 K38 CM's,K281xxx,K322xxx,and K331xxx.I also have one k22 CM,Sn.K315xxx.I used to have a few more but I traded them off or sold them.This is a pic of two of my K38's they got me started collecting S&W's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts