Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw one at my local shop. Well used. Bluing pretty good with a bit of surface rust here and there. Only the LR cylinder near as I could see. Some scratches on the ejector housing.

Old 3 screw, 4 click model. I didn't note the serial number to look it up. It was priced at $260. I am pretty sure I could talk him down a bit. How hard are the Magnum cylinders to find?

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Re: 4 Click Single Six - Worth It?

I would look at the ruger forum. But I read in a couple forums a while back that ruger will sell and fit one for you. They wont just send you one. The problem is they will probably install the saftey bar before they send it back.I heard they will send back your parts so you can convert it back.
I forget the price but it was suprisingly low like 50 bucks or something.
Some one else was saying they wont fit one unless it was the convertable model either because a 22 mag is larger than a long rifle and the convertables had a 22 mag bore.
I read all this in a forum so take it for what its worth.I dont recall the forum it was a while back when I was surfing for one for a friend.

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thank you Onenut. It is possible it never had the 22 mag cylinder. I am going to take another look at it this afternoon and bring the serial number reference from Ruger's website.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts

Hey, Forester
onenut has offered some good tips. ;)
Is it, in fact, a Convertible?
kljng; kljng;
Don

G

·
0 Posts

If it is a convertible and you get it....I think I have a couple of spares kicking around here. Bring it to the next RedNeck shoot and will see if we can't time it up...

Price wise, it's about average given the condition. SN is important in determining more. Grips are also sometimes important. If it was a Flatgate, there would be no question but to buy it.... :mrgreen:

giz

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

$235. It's on layaway. :mrgreen:

Giz, it is a convertible, though sadly, not a flatgate. The serial number places it in 1966. The grips are factory wooden grips, though I don't know if they are the ones that came with the gun originally. Thanks for that great offer. I have every intention of taking you up on it. kfjdrfirii

·
Registered
2,681 Posts

Did you see the recent "I Have This Old Gun..." in the latest American Rifleman? The one-page article is featuring the Ruger Single Six Flatgate - which Rick Hacker seems to think are worth $160-$200 in similar condition to what you describe! He also seems to think a LNIB Flatgate in the box can be bought for $325! Based on what I see old Single Sixes of any sort sell for around here - you got a good deal.

xtm

·
Registered
1,801 Posts

Yep, based on what they go for around here, you did well on the price. In fact, you beat me by about $75.00 on the last one I bought.

·
Registered
197 Posts

you'd have to call the records department at Ruger to find out if it indeed was shipped as a convertible.Around that time , it could be either way. BUT, if the serial number is over the 150,000 range, it will have the larger bore diameter barrel anyway, and would be safe to install an auxillery cylinder..........\
numbers "BELOW" 150,000 , were .22 cal ONLY, with a smaller bore diameter, than the .22 magnums, which came out in 1959. Rugers' first "magnum" .22's guns were marked as such in 1960, and did NOT have the .22 cal cylinders. ;)

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I finally got this gun off of layaway at my local pusher. It didn't cost me too much, just $230 but I have been low on gun funds lately. The last $125 of that I worked off during their big Labor Day tent sale. My adventures on that day can be found in the
lounge section.

It is definitely a shooter grade gun. A couple of the screws are buggered, the frame and the ejector housing show some scratches and unfortunately, the magnum cylinder is missing. The serial number of 452XXX confirms it is a convertible and dates it to 1966. All in all, I am very happy to have found this old 4 clicker.

I am going to try to get out this afternoon and shoot it. Also going to try to take Giz up on his offer, even though I will be missing the Redneck shoot. I might just need to take a road trip over there some other time.

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I took the gun with me to work today, thinking I would have a chance to try it a bit on one of my logging jobs, but that was not to be. I did end up driving by the shooting club I belong to this afternoon so I turned in there instead. I really wasn't prepared for a high quality test but I did have 5 different loads with me and a couple of paper plates. I shot at 15 yards from a rest and I can tell you that this gun is sweeeeeeet! The five loads were Federal Target (blue box), Blazers, CCI Mini Mags, Velocitors and Stingers. All loads tested fine through the gun, with acceptable accuracy, however, it really liked the Mini Mags.

Some more detailed testing is in order, but regardless, I couldn't be happier with this old Ruger.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts