Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since S&W has continued to reintroduce several models of the "classics", how about some 3rd Generation autos? I'd like to see the xx13, xx14 models make a comeback. I'd also like to see the Chiefs Special 3rd Gen models comeback with the Delrin grips instead of rubber. All of those sans the IL of course. :)

·
Registered
7,755 Posts
Yep...I'd love to see the 3913 LS come back into production.

I love it's frame lines and handling characteristics and am not bothered at all with the LS Moniker... ;)

·
Registered
898 Posts
I still kick myself for selling my 6906 to get my P7M8....I should have both!

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Our Friend David (also known as "Short Ranger") put togeather this combination of a 908S Frame and a 910S Slide ..... I've lusted after this pistol ever since he put the snapshot of it some time ago.....

David, I hope you will indulge me when I put your photo up once again....

Can't help it.... this pistol makes me 'stemmy'..... :p Why Smith & Wesson never built this combo is beyond me.....

Drew

·
Registered
828 Posts
Post away, Drew. :) I'd guess that Smith never bothered because by the time the value line pistols came out their auto sales were going off the cliff anyhow, and besides, they are just value line pistols with all of the possible problems that might include. IIRC, all of the long slide versions of the 3900 and 6900 pistols were factory customs jobs, weren't they? I don't think they sold all that well, either.

David

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Thanks David.... Glad you didn't mind. I have to confess to attempting to locate all the necessary ingredients for making up one of these for myself.... so far, I've found that the 'Value Line' seems to have a good deal more 'value' then before....

Altho the 908 & 910 are still nominally in the catalog, you have to search for them using the "Select a Model" function. http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/ ... sFirearm=Y

I think that the metal framed 3gen pistols sold reasonably well, but Smith simply wanted to get their Sigma and then later M&P Pistols into the market and therefore concentrated their resources on those models. Molded frame models require alot less CNC resources and as it is, Smith already has (as I recall) 80 Machining Centers on the floor. I don't recall seeing any Injection Molding going on during my last visit, so I wonder if these components (Sigma and M&P Frames) were brought in from an outside vendor. As a strategy, this would make it possible for Smith & Wesson to free up machine time to concentrate on slides and would increase productivity.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Yeah, I've noticed that new value line guns turn up less and less often, and I've never seen just a slide or frame for sale. I assumed it was because the distributors are pushing the M&P line, but maybe the factory is phasing them out. I've been playing with that long slide 908 for a while now, and have ended up not using it after all. I'm open to suggestions, though. ;)

David

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
WOW! REALLY?

Man, I'd love a shot at it....

I'll e-mail you off line.....

Drew

·
Registered
5 Posts
Speaking for myself I would love to see any of the 10mm pistols: 1006, 1076 etc. :p
I got the 10mm bug and the Smith bug all at the same time. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Charlie,
Amen my brother! My great big 1076 always draws attention when I whip her out. She gobbles up Double Tap 230 gr hardcasts like a champ! I do not reload, just don't have the time so I buy from folks like Double Tap because they make the 10mm perform like Norma originally intended it to. hpzl;n;

·
Registered
5 Posts
Colt still makes them. You can get a brand spankin' new one anytime you like. Hope Smith is paying attention and decides to bring their 10mm pistols back. Colt, Glock, EAA, Kimber, Dan Wesson all have 10mm's. Heck, the Bren 10 is being reborn! What more does the brain trust at Smith need. Bring the 10mm back!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would like to see the 4506 (of course) and the 1006 put back into production except with an integrated rail. Not like the screwed on rails of late, but milled into the frame. That would bring it into the twenty first century.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts