Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings to all from CT!

New to the forum, but not to Smith & Wesson. After getting my pistol permit, the first gun I bought was an M&P9 2.0 Compact. Nice little gun, Since then I've been going through stages of evolving tastes and discovering what I really like. After some time, I've settled on preferring DA/SA for carry, and enjoy shooting metal-framed DA/SA pistols the most.

Back in my youth, most of the cops around here carried S&W 3rd Generation semi's, mostly .40 and .45. I've always had a hankering for the beefy 4506 or a 4566TSW.

About 2 weeks ago I rented a 40 Tactical at my local range and decided I had to have one. I finally bit the bullet and ordered a CHP trade-in 4006TSW from CDNN. I actually like it better than my SIGs, and I have forgotten all about the plastic sitting in the safe. I really enjoy the way this thing shoots. After the transfer I asked my local shop to keep an eye out for a 4506 and if they see one, call me.

This past weekend I waltzed into my local shop, and behold, they had just received a 4506-1 in trade. The thing looks like it had been shot very little during its lifetime. I really wasn't ready to buy another gun but figured I wouldn't see another one locally for a while, especially in such good condition, so I filled out adoption papers and took it home. Hope to put a box through it this weekend.

It is disappointing that S&W decided to drop the series with the introduction of the M&P line. The M&P's are great guns, but I think there's still a market for their metal ancestors. After all, SIG, CZ, Beretta still offer them. Anyway, here are the two new additions:

4006tsw-4.JPG 4006tsw-5.JPG 4506-1_1.jpg 4506-1_2.jpg

Registered
I know what you mean, they are addictive. I was on a job road trip and stopped in a shop I'd never seen before, (just to look), because it's a good hour to hour & half from home yet. I see a 4046 with two mags, and made the mistake of saying "Can I see that one?"

Don't use plastic on guns, so I laid down $100 bucks to hold it until I go back that way. Forgot to take a picture because I was thinking the whole time "Too far from home. I don't need another 40 cal. I've always wanted a DOA. How much have I got on me? This one's a LEO trade in with little use. Why am I buying this?" Then I was out the door holding a receipt.

I was a half hour down the road before I though "I didn't get any pictures!". They are like LAY'S Potato Chips, you can't stop with just one. Congratulations!

(I do still want a CHP like that) :D

Registered
Welcome! Lots of friendly folks around here. Sit and visit for awhile.
They look good to me. There are some real deals right now on .40 ammo. The .40 S&W seems to have fallen out of favor, but I don't know why.
If you're not ready to buy another gun, don't look at a 1006!
0223141335.jpg

Premium Member
LGS here had several Tactical 3rd gens few years ago but I didn't know anything about them . I chose a 469 and after being enabled by the S&W forums bought a 5906 , I had to sell the 469 and believe the buyer also bought up all of the Tactical 3rd gens. I don't shoot it much anymore the 5906 is my favorite ,with extra grip and parts would like a 910/915

0620191618.jpg

Premium Member
I do like a nice 3rd generation handful... Welcome to the forum!

4566LeftSideNoSer-me.jpg

Attachments

Registered
Congrats on your purchase. Looking at all the collection photos here is making me drool. 3rd gen. S&W's are as rare as hen's teeth here.

Reactions: Boriqua

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I see I have a long way to go, LOL. Beautiful collections, all.

I browse some of the listings online and drool. The 40 Tactical is the first gun I ever bought sight unseen; I prefer to inspect in person before plunking down my hard-earned cash. It is quite rare to see one of these pop in a local shop, and when they do they don't last long.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts