Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do you want to know?
More history. Was it used by the Military, Police, etc? The serial number seems to be very odd compared to the few others I could find anything about...why? Why did it stop production? How realiable is it? How many were made? Are there modifications that I might want to consider? What's the value of it?

I'm surprised there is very little background on 3914 but a lot more of the Ladysmith 3913 whichleads me to think not many were made. I've shot it a few times. Do we, my wife and I, want to keep it? Not sure but more details might help?

Appreciate any assistance you can provide.

Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the details. The serial number doesn't lineup though. Where might you point me to find out more about that?

Thanks again....

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
3914 was a compact version of the 39 series. 9mm claiber only double action semi auto All aluminum frame 3 1/2 inch barrel . It was a hammerless ( bobbed Hammer) 8 shot pistol. the magazine had a finger extension mag. they were fixed sighted only with ambidextrous safety. The came in Blue finish only and a straight ( Non Arched ) main spring housing. Production began in Feb of 1990 and continues until late august of 1995 The gun could be also ordered with a manual one side safety the model 3914 NL ( No Label) was discontinued in 1991. They 3914 Lady Smith was simular except it had Delrin grips.

It was never used by any military forces. NYPD Special Response and Detectives used a double action only model that was special ordered but unknown how many models they got. It was replaced by the Glock Pistols with the NY trigger in 1999 .. Last MSRP $562.00

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There are a few tables that I know nothing about listed in your response. ANIB, EXC, VG, and some others. What do they represent? Also, the serial number doesn't seem to fit what is listed starting with TDF0501-0972 but had started wtih TDF0001 What is stamped on mine is TZT0120.

Thanks again for responding in this forum. First time visitor and I'm happy to see there has been responses in assistance.

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
ANIB = AS NEW IN Box, EXC = Excellent condition, VG = Very Good Condition Yours would not be one of the first made

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
Serial Numbers For over 150 years Smith & Wesson Pistols and revolver serial numbers started with 1 and ended with the last serial for that model. Thus there were a lot of duplicate Serial numbers although if you could identify the model it was not that hard to tell the difference from serial #1234 Model 1 first, #1234 Model 1/2 first, #1234 Model 2, etc. but as the models increased there was more of a chance of confusion, When the 38 Special Military & Police reached 999999 they added a letter V for Victory then VS (for new safety) after the Victory was won in 1945 they dropped the V and finished the second million with just S, in 1948 the third million started with C and the 4th Million with D in 1968. The 1968 Gun law required gun manufacturers to use a Unique Serial number for each gun they made, thus there were a different letters added to series of serial numbers B, J, K, L, M, N, R, but when 99999 or 999999 was reached the letter was in the series of numbers ie 1K1234,and that series went to 311K273 before the 3 letter 4 digit Serial numbers started in the 1980s. The 3 letter and 4 number serial allows over 17 million unique serial numbers and then a simple change could add another 17+ million Serial numbers. The problem is that the 3 letter 4 number Serials do not always make sense to us who would think that A always is before B. These serials are assigned to guns in blocks and only the factory knows what serial number block was used when and on what guns.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Your early 3914 may still have a recalled grip, Look for a dimple on the bottom - if not there S&W may
Automotive exterior Technology Gadget Auto part Electronic device
replace it if the grip is in stock.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I do have the dimple but may call to see if they can verify the serial number and provide any other details about it. Thanks for the response. Mike

·
Registered
10 Posts
Looking in the 4th edition of the Standard Catalog of S&W, I can see that they used serial numbers starting with TZ in 1993. There doesn't seem to be any other year where serial numbers starting with TZ was used that's listed in the reference book.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts