Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

About 10 years ago I bought my wife a 9mm LadySmith, which she seldom shot. Now things have changed & it is coming out of storage. I read thru the manual, and it warned against +P+ ammo. It said nothing specific about +P, only that I should use "industry standard ammo". Perhaps I am being overly optimistic, but I take that to mean +P is OK, at least for limited use, since it is a standard. My understanding is that there is no standard for +P+, so each maker decides where the upper limit of the load is.

Any more up-to-date info out there?
Past experience?
Opinions?

Thanks.

hipnp hipnp hipnp

·
Registered
828 Posts
You've got it right. A moderate diet of +P ammo isn't going to harm your wife's 3913. Lots of people have run a steady diet of +P stuff through their alloy framed Smiths with no problem, but I tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to alloy and so I usually practice with standard stuff.

+P+ pressures can be wildly variable and so are suspect. I avoid that ammo altogether.

David

G

·
0 Posts
um i dont know! the factory says you will wear out the charteristic of the gun because its made of alluminum. but thats just my 2345ll im just quoting what s&w said.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
The +p+ load is about the same pressure as NATO or U S Military loadings. I have qualified with mine quite a few times with +p+ Federal loads and WW loadings. When I carry my 3913 it has Federal 9mm +p+ loads in it. If I am going to shoot it for fun 115 gr fmj loadings are what I use. That is a cost consideration and because the department has gone to 357 Sig and doesn't have any 9mm rounds to issue. I am not telling you to use +p+ or Nato rounds. The NATO rounds developed problems in a very few of the U S Army's Berettas a number of years ago. fhfjjjj

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
shortranger said:
You've got it right. A moderate diet of +P ammo isn't going to harm your wife's 3913. Lots of people have run a steady diet of +P stuff through their alloy framed Smiths with no problem, but I tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to alloy and so I usually practice with standard stuff.

+P+ pressures can be wildly variable and so are suspect. I avoid that ammo altogether.

David

Yeah, that's my take on it too - aluminum frames = shorter service life & heavier recoil. Since she is 4'-11" and 98 lbs recoil is an issue for her.

Thanks.

lllfaaaa lllfaaaa lllfaaaa

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JOHN said:
um i dont know! the factory says you will wear out the charteristic of the gun because its made of alluminum. but thats just my 2345ll im just quoting what s&w said.

Since this is strictly a defensive pistol I'm not as concerned about wear - I'm sure she won't need it that many times! Hopefully the only time she'll ever shoot it is for practice. I was mostly concerned about breaking something.

Thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jimg11 said:
The +p+ load is about the same pressure as NATO or U S Military loadings. I have qualified with mine quite a few times with +p+ Federal loads and WW loadings. When I carry my 3913 it has Federal 9mm +p+ loads in it. If I am going to shoot it for fun 115 gr fmj loadings are what I use. That is a cost consideration and because the department has gone to 357 Sig and doesn't have any 9mm rounds to issue. I am not telling you to use +p+ or Nato rounds. The NATO rounds developed problems in a very few of the U S Army's Berettas a number of years ago. fhfjjjj

I'm kind of surprised at NATO/US GI being loaded to +P+; I always thought it was slightly less than +P.

In general, we both use standard/generic loads for practice to save money and wear & tear on equipment. We do shoot a few rounds of +P or +P+ (in other guns) to get familiar with the differences in recoil & blast. Since the 3913 is an unknown item to me, I wanted to be extra cautious.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
The high pressure NATO loads are the ones with the NATO circle mark on the case. You do not see it on the open market often but I have bought it in the past. I understand that the pressure is around 42,000 cpu. kubvcabo

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jimg11 said:
The high pressure NATO loads are the ones with the NATO circle mark on the case. You do not see it on the open market often but I have bought it in the past. I understand that the pressure is around 42,000 cpu. kubvcabo

Several times I have seen the cross & circle for sale, usually sold as "contract over-runs", but did not know what the pressure level was.

Thanks for the info.

ihfnlllllq ihfnlllllq ihfnlllllq

·
Registered
215 Posts
Based on my somewhat extensive use of +P in my 3913, I'd advise you to go with a 16 or 17lb spring in place of the factory 15.

Use grease as well. In my experience CLP and oils do not adhere to the aluminum frame as well as grease. Consequently I have heavy wear on the top of the frame rails, on either side of the hammer. I now use TW25 grease, and the erosion of the rails has significantly declined.

The 3913 is a superb pistol, and I regularly shoot 124 and 127 +P through it with no problems. Mine is approaching 5000 rounds BTW. Regards 18DAI.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
18DAI said:
Based on my somewhat extensive use of +P in my 3913, I'd advise you to go with a 16 or 17lb spring in place of the factory 15.

Use grease as well. In my experience CLP and oils do not adhere to the aluminum frame as well as grease. Consequently I have heavy wear on the top of the frame rails, on either side of the hammer. I now use TW25 grease, and the erosion of the rails has significantly declined.

The 3913 is a superb pistol, and I regularly shoot 124 and 127 +P through it with no problems. Mine is approaching 5000 rounds BTW. Regards 18DAI.

I had already planned to get a recoil buffer & a heavier spring, but I had not considered grease VS oil. I am not familiar with TW25; can you tell me more about it?

I am looking for some Speer short barrel to try out, so whenever it's back on the market ......

Thanks.

·
Registered
215 Posts
TW25 is a light synthetic grease. Topgun supply sells it for $9 a tube, IIRC.

It is durable and not affected by heat or cold. During an IDPA match last winter, it was 28 during the day and 13 at night. My S&W semi auto ran flawlessly while Glocks were having problems due to congealed lube. Hope this helps! Regards 18DAI.

·
Registered
619 Posts
welldone

The 3913 has to be one of S&W's best pistols. I don't remember ever hearing about one of them being worn out from shooting. My 908 is in the shop now for a checkup, and I'll go ahead and run it with grease and see what happens.
l;nfPNFIw

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
18DAI said:
TW25 is a light synthetic grease. Topgun supply sells it for $9 a tube, IIRC.

It is durable and not affected by heat or cold. During an IDPA match last winter, it was 28 during the day and 13 at night. My S&W semi auto ran flawlessly while Glocks were having problems due to congealed lube. Hope this helps! Regards 18DAI.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to try some.

:D :D :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts