Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 39-2 from 1972 and the magazine has a metal follower. A buddy of mine gave me a magazine (stamped S&W on the bottom just like the other one) but has what seems to be a plastic follower. Other than that the mags are identical. Did S&W make the same mag but with different followers? Thanx.

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

Reactions: Victor N TN

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
The original Smith Wesson 39 s had a metal follower that sort of looked like an X in the magazine when you looked at them from the top. The all steel frams Smith Wesson gun came with these and the guns used for the military testing also came with them as was required by the design contract, After the 39-2 s were produced Smith Wesson changed the design to the plastic followers. They work just fine and will work in any 39 . . I have both types and have no problems in my 39..

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The original Smith Wesson 39 s had a metal follower that sort of looked like an X in the magazine when you looked at them from the top. The all steel frams Smith Wesson gun came with these and the guns used for the military testing also came with them as was required by the design contract, After the 39-2 s were produced Smith Wesson changed the design to the plastic followers. They work just fine and will work in any 39 . . I have both types and have no problems in my 39..
Thanx for the 4-1-1. I didn't know the 39 mags had the metal "X" follower and the 39-2s had plastic ones. I've only had my 39-2 about 3 years and I really like it. I grew up with revolvers but this one has really grown on me.

Reactions: Victor N TN

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
Thanx for the 4-1-1. I didn't know the 39 mags had the metal "X" follower and the 39-2s had plastic ones. I've only had my 39-2 about 3 years and I really like it. I grew up with revolvers but this one has really grown on me.

They will grow on you. They really fit the hand well and are excellent shooters . The sights sit low to the bore axis and are very accurate ..

good luck and god shooting

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not all 39-2's came with plastic followers. My 39-2 from the early 70's came with the metal X type follower.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts