Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very new to S&W revolvers. :ugeek: I saw two .38sp Pro Series brushed stainless with 3"bbl; (Model60?); at a shop yesterday. I really liked the feel, sights, grips and size. I am looking for an alternative CCW to my oversized/heavy Browning HiPower. When checking gunbroker and such sources to compare prices, all the ones listed were .357/38sp. Was the .38 only a previous offering or ???. :? Is the .38sp +P rated? I am not hard core to have the .357, but are there any reasons to choose one over the other? I have an early Marlin .38sp Cowboy Special for SASS and have never wanted to trade it for the later .357/.38sp. Thanks for any help offered.
Jim lihjgq;

·
Registered
273 Posts
Have a BHP myself but carry Smith J's 99% of the time.

I have seen the pro's but never shot one, they look real nice. I have a 36 3 inch and it's a sweetheart exta inch is better for hitting targets. Plus P 38's are no problem and about all I want to shoot out of a revolver this small. Shoot it sometimes in IDPA Back Up Gun matches and it preforms well. In those matches we see about anything and a whole lot of the small guns won't go 60 rounds without problems. J frame Smiths never a hiccup.

Earlier J's were regular length frames new ones like the pro are made on the Magnum J Frame, Just a bit longer to accommodate the .357 unless side by side you can't tell the difference.

If you like the pro might want to experiment with different ammo. I bet you end up with hot 125 gr 38's instead of 357's Personally I reload everything except personal defence Ammo and have standardized on 38 +P 125's for the 2 J's and 4 K frames I carry and have stored in different spots around the house shop and office. One of the K's is a .357 but still load it with the 38's

Rick Baughman at Old West Reproductions make the holster for my 3 inch 36. Nice classic design and perfect for the gun.

Boats

1 - 2 of 2 Posts