Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine wants to get a .357 lever action to also shoot .38s, assuming the gun can handle both without any loading/ejecting issues. With my Model 28 I shoot .357s first, then .38s to avoid build up in the chambers. Would the same be true for the rifle? I'm guessing that it would but I'm not sure. Thanx.

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I would guess it would depend on how much he is shooting at any given session and how often he cleans but .. I shot up to 150 rounds of 38 through my revolvers and then shoot some 357 and honestly .. while i have read much about carbon build up .. I have been shooting this way for years and was never impacted by it.

Now .. I am one of those nutty people who HAS to clean his gun after every range visit.

I think his bigger issue may be feeding. I have read some guns are better than others even from the same manufacturer at loading 38's. My henry ate the 38's up just fine .. I just didnt find any fun in shooting 38's from a rifle.

·
Super Moderator
32,549 Posts
No experience with such here, only have fired .357 out of the Henry we have. With the weight of the longarm to control the recoil I would wonder what would be the advantage of shooting .38 ammo out of it, unless it was all you have?

·
Premium Member
10,809 Posts
The cartridges headspace on the cartridge rim. If it causes any buildup at the front of the rifle's chamber, you'll feel it when trying to insert a .357.

A decent cleaning after use should take care of any buildup. As it's a contained chamber and barrel (without a gap as in a revolver) there should be no "flame cutting" like you sometimes see on a revolver frame.

Reactions: 5150
1 - 5 of 5 Posts