Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my first gun a couple of months ago. Really like the .380 EZ. However, I now have an issue I don’t know how to resolve. I can’t get the magazine to insert if I have 8 cartridges in. If I remove one, it loads fine. What is the problem? I have tried it with both magazines that came with the pistol. It is the same for both. Suggestions please.

P.S. just found this forum today. Very glad to have you folks here. I look forward to reading and sharing with other S&W fans.

·
Registered
23,365 Posts
I am not familiar with that gun; is it supposed to hold 8 actually IN the magazine (listed as 8+1)?

·
Registered
257 Posts
I dunno about the .380 but my wife's 9mm EZ has no problem loading 8 in the mag. You might try inserting the mag with the slide locked back.

Reactions: oldgrowth

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dunno about the .380 but my wife's 9mm EZ has no problem loading 8 in the mag. You might try inserting the mag with the slide locked back.
I can insert mag with 8 in it if slide is back. I can not get mag if slide is forward. Also can not load 8+1. If one is in chamber, it will not let me reload mag to 8 and insert.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some pistols take a very firm push to get a full magazine in
For the first several weeks I had no problem inserting mag with 8 in it. Issue just began a few days ago. I have checked and rechecked that the gun is reassembled correctly after cleaning it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After searching online, I read of the same issue on the 9mm EZ. The solution seemed to be to apply more pressure when inserting magazine. I tried this with my .380 and got the mag in and firmly locked in place. Seems odd that I had no issue loading to full capacity the first couple of months after buying it and just recently had the issue. For now, I am happy to be able to load 8 rounds and will see if the issue is resolved. Thanks to all for your time in responding to my thread.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Take the magazine apart to make sure the spring is not bent and jammed in the bottom of the magazine. I had that happen on one of my regular Shield magazines. The spring had bent and was stuck inside itself so there was no room in the bottom of the magazine when loaded. I solved it with Wolff magazine springs. Also check the followers for chips that might be hanging up in the magazine. My wife's EZ had that problem. If it worked when it was new and now it doesn't there is something wrong with the magazine.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I can insert mag with 8 in it if slide is back. I can not get mag if slide is forward. Also can not load 8+1. If one is in chamber, it will not let me reload mag to 8 and insert.
YOU TOO!!!! That is a know problem and has been for some time. The gun is not - repeat: NOT - 8+1. The only way you can load a full magazine is to have the slide back to slide lock.

It is a fun range gun but not one for SD. Not according to my standards anyway.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Take the magazine apart to make sure the spring is not bent and jammed in the bottom of the magazine. I had that happen on one of my regular Shield magazines. The spring had bent and was stuck inside itself so there was no room in the bottom of the magazine when loaded. I solved it with Wolff magazine springs. Also check the followers for chips that might be hanging up in the magazine. My wife's EZ had that problem. If it worked when it was new and now it doesn't there is something wrong with the magazine.
Thank you, I will check it out. Appreciate your reply.

·
Premium Member
13,216 Posts
If you are that concerned about round capacity in your handgun, consider two things. First consider refreshing your shooting skills with a NRA Basic Pistol class taught at a local area gun club. Distances are generally close in incidents, and it's very rare for an incident to require the use of full magazine loads, That said, your accuracy when shooting is always important.

Also consider a full size M&P 9mm Pistol when they become available. Their round counts in double stack magazines considerably exceed what you have now. I've also found the full M&P line to be more reliable than the EZ series, something particularly important for self defense.

Note that hard jamming full magazines into a firearm designed for reduced recoil forces (making racking easier) could lead to mechanical issues. It may be designed for such operation, but it's not always wise to test the limits.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
I have both the .380 and 9mm EZ pistols and both load full magazines with no problem. I seldom insert a full magazine with the slide in battery anyway. Lock the slide back , insert the full magazine , shoot until empty , repeat.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I have both the .380 and 9mm EZ pistols and both load full magazines with no problem. I seldom insert a full magazine with the slide in battery anyway. Lock the slide back , insert the full magazine , shoot until empty , repeat.
That seems to be the ONLY way the EZ functions. All the classes we took in SD shooting were adamant about not letting your gun run dry, and with the EZ you have to let it run dry, back to slide lock, in order to insert a new full magazine.

I've said it before: The .380 EZ is NOT an 8+1 gun!

·
Registered
64 Posts
That seems to be the ONLY way the EZ functions. All the classes we took in SD shooting were adamant about not letting your gun run dry, and with the EZ you have to let it run dry, back to slide lock, in order to insert a new full magazine.

I've said it before: The .380 EZ is NOT an 8+1 gun!
I have no issue with my EZ 9. It loads 8+1 every time, no issue, no undue force. Every time.

SG, do you own an EZ?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I have no issue with my EZ 9. It loads 8+1 every time, no issue, no undue force. Every time.

SG, do you own an EZ?
I got my .380 EZ in Aug., 2018, when they were still pretty new. I've had a lot of experience with it. Lately, however, it spends more time in the safe than out because my other .380 guns are all higher on my favorites list. I took her out to play last week, though, and she started doing the stovepipe on the last round AGAIN. So I cleaned all the magazines and stretched the springs which seems to help for a while.

ETA: I ordered 6 new magazine springs from Midwest Gun Works and hopefully they will actually work for more than 3 uses. With the price of .380 ammo being what it is, that gun is not going to be used much for the foreseeable future: Not when I have other .380's that work properly!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Flute2021,
I had the same issue with my new .380 EZ. I contacted S&W and this was the reply. I did what the guy said and it works like a charm. This is harder than it should be but I assure you it worked for me.
Be safe out there,

"We would like to thank you for your e-mail and contacting Smith & Wesson / Thompson Center.
You will need to insert the mag at this point with a bit of authority. We would refer to it as a "palm slap". There isn't much clearance with that model but it does work. You will not damage the firearm.
Thank You for choosing Smith & Wesson / Thompson Center products. Have a great day.

Smith&Wesson values its customers and we are happy to have served you today. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require further assistance."

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Flute2021,
I had the same issue with my new .380 EZ. I contacted S&W and this was the reply. I did what the guy said and it works like a charm. This is harder than it should be but I assure you it worked for me.
Be safe out there,

"We would like to thank you for your e-mail and contacting Smith & Wesson / Thompson Center.
You will need to insert the mag at this point with a bit of authority. We would refer to it as a "palm slap". There isn't much clearance with that model but it does work. You will not damage the firearm.
Thank You for choosing Smith & Wesson / Thompson Center products. Have a great day.

Smith&Wesson values its customers and we are happy to have served you today. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require further assistance."
Thank you for passing this info along to me. I had email Smith & Wesson about the issue a couple of weeks ago, but have not received a reply. I can "palm slap" the mag into place, but was afraid this might damage the gun. I appreciate knowing that S&W says it will not harm the gun.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts