Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 38 Victory model that has a small Crest & "BNP" on 3 areas There is also a small Crest with crossed soards on one side close to the trigger. - -Also there is "38 '767' " and 3 1/2 Tons on the barrel. There is a number on the Butt -946280 plus a very small crest I can't make out. What does the BNP stand for? --and what would be the value of this S&W revolver? [/SIZE]

·
Registered
15,955 Posts
The BNP stands for British Nitro Proof. I'm not sure what the 767 is for all the other markings are part of the British proofing system. Many Victory models were lend leased to England during WW II. They ere usually in .38 S&W caliber. A few years ago many of these were imported back into the US by various dealers. They are not that uncommom.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
:wlogo:Welcome to both of you from CA!:wlogo:

Reactions: 41 Charlie

·
Premium Member
22,108 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass, fbstorey and bearcat6! .767 is the cartridge length. 3 1/2 tons is the pressure rating on the barrel. We would have to see the revolver to give you any feedback on possible value. Is the cylinder reamed to accept .38 Special cartridges? If so, the value drops. Also, the barrel should be 5.5" from the front of the cylinder to the muzzle. If it is shorter, the barrel has been cut, dropping value. As a shooter, these guns are worth between $300-400...without mods. Lastly, is there a V before the serial number?

Reactions: 41 Charlie

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
946XXX places you at about April or earlier 1942 the dawn of the Victory era, the Pre-V's.The proof marks (correctly identified) indicate your piece entered commerce in 1955 or later and was proven as a .38 S&W. The crossed swords (usually by the trigger guard) are scepters and called the Birmingham Viewer's mark. Look at the letters and numbers arranged around them, relay that info and I can tell you what year it was proven. Does the piece have USA Property marks? Does it have WB and an Ordnance bomb on the butt? Blued or military finish? Arched top nickel medallion grips, plain slick walnut, or something else?

Values are dropping. A very nice high 9XXXXX serial .38 Special went for $307 today on Gunbroker. People ask more but those don't often move unless they are Navy marked. As previously mentioned alterations cost. Canadian, New Zealand, South African; Australian, marks might add value. Modern import marks are a minus. Arrow in a C, arrow in a U, D^D; NZ, anywhere? Reblue, plating, out of period grips, butt swivel missing all minuses.

A good set of pics solve the guess work.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Go figure

Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun barrel
(click to enlarge) Two of the nicer Victory era pieces I've seen on a no reserve auction recently. The 5" British Service brought $405, it is a later war Lend-Lease. The 4" not US marked (Defense Supplies Corporation) .38 Special went for $307 (or at least it will when I call tommorrow and pay for it). In my opinion the values should be reversed. In any event these are two of the nicer, more correct offerings lately. You should judge yours against these "breed standards". BTW there were significantly more Brit versions built.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Smith and Wesson Victory in 38/200 with a 5 inch barrel , Serial # V42604 with matching serial numbers on all parts. It is stamped with New Zealand markings and I have the certificate from the Smith and Wesson Historical Foundation as well. The Ordinance officer stamp of Col. Waldemar Broberg (W.B.) with the little ordnance bomb. Purchased in 2019 for $400.00. Although I do have two boxes of ammo for it I have never fired it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts