Smith And Wesson Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had several over the years but down to only two right now. The reason I like them is simple. With the right load, it gives me low-end .357 Mag ballistics in a firearm that I shoot very well.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I currently have a Les Baer Premier 2 and a Chambers Custom 'Retired Ladies Gun'. The Chambers gun is a convertible and also has all the parts fitted for 9mm switch over. I did learn that there are some of 38 Supers with .3565" bores while others like Kart, LB & a few other makers that use a .355" bore. I load 9mm bullets for mine and get good accuracy due to the bore size.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m not sure that I’d say it’s the perfect cartridge because I’m not sure there is such a thing but I really like 38 Super.

I competed in USPSA in the 90’s and had a custom built double stack on a Caspian frame compensated with a pro-point red dot. It was a fantastic pistol but after tens of thousands of major loads I cracked the frame and sold it.

38 super is very versatile in my opinion. It’s very accurate and can be loaded very mild up to scorching hot loads approaching 357 magnum. Hot loads though should be shot in a fully supported chamber. You’re dealing with serious pressure here.

I currently have two supers. I have a Colt LW Commander XSE stainless. The second is a Kimber 5” Eclipse Target with an all steel frame and slide. When I sold my Caspian race gun I had nearly 1000 rounds of major ammo that I had loaded and bought it to shoot up the ammo rather than pull the bullets.

The Colt XSE doesn’t have a supported chamber and the Kimber does. In addition I wouldn’t shoot loads that hot in an alloy gun but have no worries in the all steel Kimber. But even in an all steel gun I run it with a 20 pound recoil spring and shock buffer.

As much as I like 38 super I still favor my 45 Kimber Ultra for self defense.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts