Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious as this seems to be an option for some 1911's.

I still think big, fat, slow is better for living threats but hey, just curious. What are your comments?

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
I have 2 (so far). A customized Colt that I guy had worked up as a competition gun and a Kimber Stainless Target. Both are great shooters and more accurate than similar quality 1911's I have in 9mm. Easier to reload also with the slightly longer case. Ammo is more expensive, but reloading takes that off the table. Found a better pic for the second set.
Colt Custom, Kimber Stainless TGT -.38 super-1.jpg Colt, Kimber .38 super-001.jpg

·
Registered
74 Posts
The original .38 Super had a poor reputation for accuracy since they headspaced on an inadequate rim. Once the manufactures started to cut chambers to headspace on the case mouth, like most other semi-auto rounds, accuracy improved dramatically.

They were very popular with USPSA and some other "practical" competitions shooters because they could be loaded to "make major" power factor without going too far overboard with pressure and the loadings also made compensators work well. When the USPSA allowed "major 9" loadings the .38 Super (and .38 Super Comp, basically a rimless .38 Super) fell out of favor since the brass was much more expensive. For most USPSA matches the shooters loose their brass and that made the 9 mm a lot more attractive.

Several friends who are active in USPSA have either retired or sold their .38 Super guns and now run guns using major 9 loads.

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
As an end user, excellent caliber for personal defense when loaded with Barnes all copper bullet ammunition by Buffalo Bore and Double Tap...can be loaded with select .357 caliber bullets at factory .357 mag velocities, relatively low recoil and very fast cold split times.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I only have a couple and they are old race guns with ramped barrels.

Sorry for the quick down and dirty snap. It's all I currently have left thank's to the Photobucket mess.

Mine are both antiques by modern standards as are the .45's.

The bottom two are the Supers, the middle two are .45's and the top one is a HP via Cylinder & Slide.

http://s291.photobucket.com/user/1MoreFord/Hi-Power Forum/story

The single stack super is one of the last guns Plaxco built and the other's are built by a near unknown local smith.

They, collectively, have many ten's of thousands of rounds between them.

ETA - Ooops, I forgot to mention the little Seecamp .32acp in the middle.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I've always liked the ballistics of the .38 Super. Back when the cartridge came out, the FBI used the Colt 1911 .38 Super because of its ability to punch through car doors when the .45 would not. I like the 9 round magazine (10 with a bumper on the bottom) and the .38 Super recoils less than the .45 while providing more muzzle energy. When Colt marked the right side of the slides with 100 Years of Service in 2011 (was that really 8 years ago already?), I just had to have one of their Colt Custom polished .38 Supers. I put my grandfather's old mother of pearl handles on it and they feel and look great.

Then I had to have one of the Talo limited edition Commanders with the lightweight aluminum frame too. It was just about perfect with the tritium front sight and plain rear, beavertail grip safety, and extended manual thumb safety I had the bobtail mainspring housing installed and finally found a permanent gun to place my ebony/ivory scrimshawed Bald Eagle handles on (I've had them since 1984 and I trimmed them to fit the bobtail).

A Hopp Gunleather holster with shark inlay and white stitching to match my .38 Super LWT Commander:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts