Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

The indoor range I go to regularly is conveniently located just down the road from my place, but only rated for .38 spl. The nearest place rated for larger calibres is quite a ways off and more expensive.

So I'm looking for some feedback on the wisdom of putting predominantly .38 specials through my Model 27 with 6" barrel. I've read conflicting recommendations about prolonged use of .38s for a gun designed primarily for .357; some say it's bad and can wear out the forcing cone and exacerbate endplay; others consider it a non-issue. What's your take on this, and does anyone have experience doing this with specifically with an M27? How big of an issue is it compared to other (newer) models?

I haven't had any issues yet after ~300 rounds of Remington UMC 130gr .38 spl, apart from resilient and annoying buildup in the front of the cylinder chambers. But beyond that, do I risk wearing out the M27 if I continue to feed it mainly .38s? I understand the Model 27 is more of a collector's piece, but I got it as a shooter, and it's a joy at the range. It's in good condition and lockup is what I would consider to still be within tolerance, so I hope to keep it that way.

Thanks for your opinions, much appreciated!

--GT

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
Outside of having to clean the chambers so .357 will fit there's no issue. A.38 is milder than .357's & won't hurt the forcing cone, etc.. A 27 if shot, cleaned & lubed regularly is almost impossible to wear out... we'll know how long they last when the 1st one wears out. ;)

·
Registered
88 Posts
You have a wonderful revolver that will provide you, and your children with years of fun.............did I mention your grandchildren??????? Fire away!!!

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
I second all of the above. My model 28 really enjoys 148 gr hbwc ammunition. I do need to clean thoroughly to eliminate carbon buildup between the mouth of the 38 spl case and the end of the chamber. Brownell’s makes a special reamer if you should ever get a really bad buildup.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You have a wonderful revolver that will provide you, and your children with years of fun.............did I mention your grandchildren??????? Fire away!!!
Hi RoiTan,

It is a nice piece, and I appreciate the heft. Shooting .38s feels like almost like .22s.
No kids tho -- too bad, eh? ;) The coppers even asked me about that when they interviewed me for the permit. 15 minutes later we were done, and 1 week later I received the Cantonal permit to buy up to 3 (!) firearms at once. That's Switzerland...

--GT

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do need to clean thoroughly to eliminate carbon buildup between the mouth of the 38 spl case and the end of the chamber. Brownell’s makes a special reamer if you should ever get a really bad buildup.
Thanks for the info, Digger.

I've tried Ballistol/Klever's Robla Solo Mil as solvent, but that stuff is really aggressive and can potentially tarnish the bluing, so I'm very sparing with it. I believe Hoppe's is a bit more forgiving (and easier on the nostrils!), but it's very pricey here.

I let the solvent sit in the cylinder chambers, then worked those with an oversized bronze brush, which got most of the carbon out, but I suspect that was attributed more to the brush than the solvent. That brush has now worn out after just a few uses (!), so I'm looking for another option. Do you have a part number for that Brownell's reamer? (Thanks!)

I really enjoy this revolver, and it's remarkably accurate (in my inaccurate hands!) but I always dread the tedious cylinder reaming that follows. :(
Maybe I just haven't gotten the knack of it yet. Maybe I should also try different ammo?

--GT

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have a 27-2, and have owned couple other 27s. You are NOT going to cause any damage or wear it out by using .38 Spcl. ammunition.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
You can shoot. 38s or .38+p's all day in a Mod 27.
Go have fun.

Reactions: GanjaTron

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
The model 28 is built like a tank. I have a model 27-2 and regularly shoot 38 specials with it at an indoor range in the wintertime.As others have stated keep the chamber and bore clean and you can pass it onto your grandchildren. Mine was made in 1968 and is still a tack driver with hand loads.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
I have a 28-2 and learned years ago to shoot the .357s first, then the .38s.
Now I just take a BoreSnake with me to the range to solve that issue. Love my 28.

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
I’ll see if I can find a part number somewhere. I use one only for really bad revolvers that enter my safe. Use once and then get a 40 cal brush to clean thereafter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I’ll see if I can find a part number somewhere. I use one only for really bad revolvers that enter my safe. Use once and then get a 40 cal brush to clean thereafter.
Thanks, Digger. I found Hoppe's Tornado brushes as a recommended alternative, but these aren't that easy to find in Europe. Brownell's carries stainless steel bore brushes, but I've read these can seriously ruin smooth chambers. The .40 cal brush sounds like good interim solution; kinda like what I had, but hopefully more durable.

--GT

·
Super Moderator
32,471 Posts
I agree with the others. .38 Specials are save and easy on the hand recoil wise, but the cleaning as noted is what to keep in mind!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone for responding, much appreciated. I feel more confident now.;)

On a (more or less) related note, I noticed what appears to be a 2nd flame cutting line developing under the topstrap, just a few mm behind the "normal" one right above the cylinder gap. I understand this issue is self-limiting, but I can't figure out where this 2nd line is coming from. Any ideas? Thanks!

--GT

P.S. I can post a pic if it helps. And this belongs elsewhere, I'll start a new thread; let me know.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
Found the scraper/reamer I had mentioned. It’s made by uniquetek (uniquetek.com) and is called the slix scraper. Mine seems to work well and does not damage the chambers. I only use it rarely, when buildup has become a problem.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
I would not use a stainless steel bore brush. I also have found that a .40 caliber brush will do the job , at least for a few times before wearing out. BTW, you should get better life on the brush it you run it all the way in and out of the chamber rather than pushing it in partway and then reversing. Enjoy a fantastic revolver.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts