Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 38 special that I believe is a police edition from the mid 50s. I'm kindof confused between the posts on the seriel number and model numbers. This seriel starts with a C and the model inside the cylinder starts with a N. Hoping someone can help me identify. See attached photos. Thanks in advance.
Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel
Office supplies Writing implement Cosmetics Pen Cylinder
Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Revolver
Revolver Air gun Trigger Line Wood
Gun accessory Font Household hardware Wood Metal
Car alarm Hand Gesture Finger Material property

·
Premium Member
20,700 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! First, your .38 M&P does not have a model number because it was made in 1956 before S&W implemented them in 1957. Any numbers and letters inside the yoke cut are assembly numbers and are not helpful in dating the gun. It is possible it was used by an LEO; however, you would need some evidence of that either through rack numbers stamped on the gun or a verified document that shows it was in police possession. If it was a police handgun, it does not necessarily increase its value.

The .38 M&P became the Model 10 in 1957. Some collectors call your version a "pre-model 10" because it has the same short throw action as the Model 10. It was designed to shoot .38 Special cartridges in full pressure...yes, that includes +P which didn't exist when your gun was made. The .38 M&P is the bread and butter gun for S&W. They have made about 7 million of them and they are a proven, highly reliable and rugged gun that is fun to shoot. I hope you enjoy it!

·
Premium Member
20,700 Posts
Generally, collectable gun values are driven by rarity and condition. The .38 M&P is not rare but the snub is more desirable to collect in many cases. Your gun appears to have been refinished outside the factory and is in degraded condition. Refinishing ruins a gun for most collectors. All that being said, a .38 snub is a good carry gun and that helps its value as a shooter. So, I'd put it in the $300-400 range but values vary by region and may be higher or lower in your area.

·
Registered
29,941 Posts
What you have is a gun that is shooter grade as far as collectability. Wiregrassguy's estimate of value is probably spot on but could be a bit higher in todays crazy market. Hope you go out and enjoy the revolver. If so, let us know how it functions for you. Welcome to the forum.

Reactions: JustintimewithanAK
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.