Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried using 115 grain cast bullets with a diameter of 0.355 in 38 Special loads? I have a large number of these 9mm bullets and would like to use them, but question the .002mm difference in the diameter between the 9mm bullets and the .357 (+.002) mag and 38 Special bullets.

·
Banned
2,792 Posts
You mean .002 INCH difference (not mm). If it were 2/1000 of a mm it wouldn't be enough to even talk about, much less worry about.

Hard cast .355 bullets in a 38 are probably not going to be very accurate. In most barrels they aren't going to engage the rifling consistently enough. If they were swaged soft lead or if they were hollow base they would probably obturate to the bore enough to work well, but probably not with hard cast.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, .002 inch, not mm! I think the best plan will be to load up a few (12-15) and see how they perform. I don't think these bullets are truly "hard cast" but they do not have a hollow base.

·
Registered
480 Posts
If you just need something to "GO BANG" for some VERY up close and personal (5 -7 yards) kind of defensive practice they MIGHT work. I'd be concerned about the poor fit not efficiently engaging the rifling and leaving a lot of stripped lead in the bore.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts