Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
6,623 Posts
I'm one who subscribes to the 148gr wadcutter school for my pocket carry. In Winter, however, I tend to carry 125gr jacketed soft points for more energy and penetration through heavier clothing.

· Registered
6,623 Posts
The HST is like a hollow point wadcutter on steroids and when you shoot one, you wouldn't believe it is a Plus P from the mild recoil. It's built to expand at expected snubbie velocities too
Looks promising. Thanks for the tip. I use 124gr HST with my EDC 9mm. I'll consider this one for my cold weather carry in my .38 snubby. Federal HST .38 Special +P Review and Ballistic Gelatin Test

The only drawback to both wadcutters and this particular HST is on reloading under pressure. I usually cary at least one speed strip. Speed loaders are just too bulky for me. Round nose bullets are just a bit more forgiving from a strip.

Reactions: jonesy814

· Registered
6,623 Posts
Another drawback on the Federal HST micro: The Federal site shows it "Currently Unavailable. Not available on my other usual suspects, either. I'll keep an eye out for it. I'd like to try a couple of boxes. Until then, I'll stick with my wadcutters.

· Registered
6,623 Posts
That looks like a reverse loaded HBWC; how well does it expand?
See my earlier post just above yours. It has a link to a gelatin test.

· Registered
6,623 Posts
It has been reported that at the Revolver Roundup this year at Gunsite, Chuck Haggard and some other notables in the field did some testing of loads for the 38 snub and determined the 148 grain wadcutter at 750 fps was the best overall choice for a defensive load, and Georgia Arms has been sanctioned to load that ammo specifically for the airweight snubs.
Priced at about $1.25 a round. Plus shipping of course.
View attachment 581654
Too much $ for paper targets, but about perfect for my j-frame carry load.

Reactions: SamMeow and SargeRN
1 - 5 of 5 Posts