Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched the Forum and didn't find anything recent on this subject. Found some posts from the early 2000's but things have really changed since then. So, what personal defense ammo do you carry i
n your 1 7/8" barreled snubby and WHY.
PLEASE don't talk about any other barrel length or any other caliber. I know what works in my .45 ACP's and 9mm's but carrying a snubby, 642-2 j-frame, is new to me. SO, what do you use for PD ammo.
THANKS in advance,
Sarge

Registered
black powder shooter
typically use a 'name' +p self defense ammo - my current favorite is Winchester PDX1 Defender..
have a stack of it on the self along with some others..

lot of current conversation on 'snub noir' site around the tried and true full wadcutter load at about 750 fps out of short barrels, new is not necessarily better..

Registered
I use Hornady Critical Defense(110 grain FTX). Watched a video on You Tube, Paul Harrel compared many different personal protection loads for snubby 38's and it was his pick also. Hope this helps!!

Registered
I'm one who subscribes to the 148gr wadcutter school for my pocket carry. In Winter, however, I tend to carry 125gr jacketed soft points for more energy and penetration through heavier clothing.

Registered
I'm one who subscribes to the 148gr wadcutter school for my pocket carry. In Winter, however, I tend to carry 125gr jacketed soft points for more energy and penetration through heavier clothing.
The HST is like a hollow point wadcutter on steroids and when you shoot one, you wouldn't believe it is a Plus P from the mild recoil. It's built to expand at expected snubbie velocities too

Registered
The HST is like a hollow point wadcutter on steroids and when you shoot one, you wouldn't believe it is a Plus P from the mild recoil. It's built to expand at expected snubbie velocities too
Looks promising. Thanks for the tip. I use 124gr HST with my EDC 9mm. I'll consider this one for my cold weather carry in my .38 snubby. Federal HST .38 Special +P Review and Ballistic Gelatin Test

The only drawback to both wadcutters and this particular HST is on reloading under pressure. I usually cary at least one speed strip. Speed loaders are just too bulky for me. Round nose bullets are just a bit more forgiving from a strip.

Reactions: jonesy814

Registered
I carry 135gr Federal HST, Plus P, short barrel revolver load
That looks like a reverse loaded HBWC; how well does it expand?

Registered
Another drawback on the Federal HST micro: The Federal site shows it "Currently Unavailable. Not available on my other usual suspects, either. I'll keep an eye out for it. I'd like to try a couple of boxes. Until then, I'll stick with my wadcutters.

Registered
That looks like a reverse loaded HBWC; how well does it expand?
See my earlier post just above yours. It has a link to a gelatin test.

Registered
I carry 135gr Federal HST, Plus P, short barrel revolver load
So where did you find them? I am not seeing these in all of my usual places

• Helpful
Reactions: SargeRN

Registered
So where did you find them? I am not seeing these in all of my usual places
When Walmart was getting out of the handgun ammo business, I picked up 4 boxes at $9.00 per box. I also got 2 boxes of Remington 125gr Plus P Golden Sabers at $7.50 each that day. Still have most of it. Sorry, I know that doesn't help

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jonsey, I'd like to try a couple boxes of the HST as well so if you find some, or anyone finds some, please post here for the rest of us! Currently all my other handguns are stoked with Speer Gold dots. One of my main reasons for this is that is what my local LEO's are carrying in their Glocks. Probably can't go wrong with them in my 642-2. Figure if I ever did get into a self-defense situation, I wouldn't have to worry, too much, about some liberal prosecutor going on about some super, fancy high-power bullets!
Thanks, group some good information here!
Sarge

Super Moderator
I carry the old FBI 158 grain LSWCHP +P. It's a proven fight stopper just not so good against windshields and car doors.
The old FBI load you mention is what we have the most on stock here, but Winchester and the PDX defender load is one we also have in .38 Special as well as other calibers!

Registered
The old FBI load you mention is what we have the most on stock here, but Winchester and the PDX defender load is one we also have in .38 Special as well as other calibers!
I also have some PDX defenders in 38 special as well as 9mm. They used to be readily available at an area Walmart

1 - 20 of 31 Posts