Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
n inherated my grandfather 38 special after my father passed a few years ago. I belive it was made in the early 1920's and my grandfater was was a prison guard in Alabama. The serial number on the butt of the gun is 52499. Any idea how much it is worth and is it possibly a 38 police special?

·
Registered
12,707 Posts
Welcome to the forum
S&W didnt make a 38 police special, but they did make a 38 Military & Police and that is probably what you have.

·
Premium Member
11,475 Posts
Hey OP. what is this gun? one of the numbers in the serial number is a 2.

Reactions: Abby'sDad

·
Premium Member
11,475 Posts
You probably have a .38 M&P. Collectors would call it a Model of 1905, 4th change. It should look something like this one.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Condition is ( almost ) everything. Several good pictures , well-lighted, are necessary to answer your question. Hank

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here are some more pics of the revolver

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,475 Posts
You have a Victory revolver. Shipped probably in early 1944. Missing a lanyard which you can pick up fairly easily and install.

·
Premium Member
11,475 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
V 524996 would have likely shipped in Feb./March 1944. Besides the missing lanyard swivel, it seems to be in good, original condition. Likely value as is would be 300 to 350.

Does it have a US PROPERTY marking on the top? If so, your grandfather bought it as surplus after the war and it is likely unrelated to his prison job.

If it is unmarked on top, it COULD have been provided to the state during the war by the Defense Supplies Corporation and possibly have been an issue gun. Only a history letter from the SW Historical Foundation would shed light on that, and there are no guarantees.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts