Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and gals. I was given an old 38 special stored in a leather holster. It’s in rough shape with lots of rust, holster wear and damaged grips. Pretty sure it’s pre WWll. 6” barrel, serial number 49711X. Yoke is stamped 97787. 6 round cylinder, fixed front sight. MADE IN USA on right side in front of trigger. 38 S&W SPECIAL CTG on right side of barrel. Patent dates: Feb 08 08, Sept 14 09, Dec 28 14. 5 screw frame I think. No screw under the grips. I’m hoping to find a production year and approximate value. Thanks.
If you want more pics let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,469 Posts
.38 M&P. Based on the grips , logo etc. Mid 1920s.
Never store a gun in a holster. That's the probable cause of that surface damage.

·
Registered
make mine 45 acp 😎
4,039 Posts
i have a note, SN 500,000 shipped in 1927 - so delcrossv pretty much nailed it.

with those condition issues value, is about 200/300, plus or minus depending on where you live..

time for some penetrating oil and double ought steel wool to clean that up.. ask if you need advice on that..

from the 1925 catalog,,

View attachment 451439

·
Premium Member
11,938 Posts
You've got a nice M&P Model of 1905 4th change there. Get that rust off. s/n 4888xx shipped 10/24 and s/n 5117xx shipped 11/25 so I have you bracketed. The closest Model of 1905 I have to yours is s/n 5358xx, it shipped 4/26 with a 5" barrel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. K22 the dates you provide are for 1927? And yes, advice on oil/steel wool is appreciated. I was gonna try 0000.

·
Premium Member
11,938 Posts
Thanks guys. K22 the dates you provide are for 1927? And yes, advice on oil/steel wool is appreciated. I was gonna try 0000.
No, the dates I listed are what my research has shown for those s/n's. The shipping date for my Model of 1905 was provided by Mr. Jinks.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Take the grips off and soak that puppy in a bath of automatic transmission fluid or a batch of Ed's Red: https://www.majorsgunclub.org/edsred.html

I have revived several old revolvers and even a long gun or two with the Ed's Red. Completely submerse the gun in the fluid for a couple days. It will loosen up the surface rust and clean out the inside workings without you having to take things apart. Just keep it away from open flame. It is rather smelly so if you don't have a good place to leave things sit for a while, the auto tranny fluid is a good alternative (it is a component of Ed's Red). Easy on the steel wool. Copper is better, if you can find some. A penny made before 1980 will do to rub off the stubborn spots.
Your M&P is old enough to have the heat treated cylinder which strengthened things a bit, but you will find that standard 158 gr Lead RN or wad cutter target loads will perform best and make you look good at the range. Good luck and welcome!

John

·
Premium Member
19,950 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! The guys have given you what you need to know. Choot eet!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts