Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was visiting my family for the holidays and my grandpa let me shoot his .38 Special that his dad gave to him. I took several pictures and plan to reach out to the S&W factory historian to get what information they have, but I also wanted to post here and see if anyone had any info they could share. The serial number (157483) is stamped in 3 places, on the butt, on the cylinder, and on the underside of the barrel. The patent dates are stamped on the top of the barrel and appear to end at 1905 but it’s hard to make out some of them. Any information on est. dates would be helpful. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
With that serial number, I'd guess early teens.

·
Registered
make mine 45 acp 😎
4,039 Posts
a 38 M&P (military and police) from the 1909-1915 time frame - early in that window, probably around 1910

not an overly valuable gun, especially based on the finish condition.. it was S&W's bread and butter line - with a million similar guns made between 1900 -1940 and several million made since wwII

that is however, a nice pair of period factory K frame pearl grips.. they are prone to cracking and chipping, most of us wouldn't shoot them

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I can not help with when it was built or shipped except to say in the early 1900s. I will echo what blazermark said about the MOP stocks. The factory ones have some value and it is based on condition. If those were mine, they would be in a safe place and a substitute pair would be on that revolver for shooting or carrying.

From the photos it appears to have a 5” barrel, my favorite length on the K frame.

Kevin

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone! I let him know about the pearl grips but this isn’t an everyday shooter for him, just once in a blue moon, but even then he should probably get a replacement pair to put on it since it’ll stay in the family for a while. I’ll try to remember to follow back up once I hear back from the factory as well if there’s anything of note.

·
Premium Member
19,992 Posts
welcome01 to the forums from the Wiregrass! You probably already know this but the factory no longer does the historian's letter. Those are done through the Historical Foundation and cost $100 now unless you are a member of the Collector's Association and/or the Historical Foundation. The letter is unlikely to tell you anything except it may confirm the grips shipped with the gun. If whoever has the gun can carefully remove them (don't pry) and look on the back of the right panel, there may be a serial number penciled or scratched there. They need to come off so the rust on the grip frame can be addressed. If this gun has a holster, it should be removed from it for storage as leather can absorb moisture and rust up the gun.

Reactions: Abby'sDad
1 - 7 of 7 Posts