Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I need some help. I have 2 S&W 38 special CTG revolvers and a little snub nose .32. They belonged to my late husband and I believe they were his grandfather's before that. I would like to trade them in for a .9 mm that's easier for me to carry and shoot. All three are in good shape with minimal wear and tear. the 2 .38s have original holsters and grips.

Serial #'s are D 791525 and C 913548 and 868112

Any help about their worth and suggestions about what to do with them would be appreciated. I'm attaching some pics to help.

EDIT: I am in the Houston area.

Thanks in advance, Michele

·
Premium Member
11,469 Posts
$300 - $350 each for the Model 10 .38 heavy barrels. You might be able to squeeze $400 out with the holsters. But I'm cheap so someone might know better.

No idea on the snub nose

Reactions: mschmidt626

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I agree on K22's ID and approximate value on the two 4-inch 38 special heavy barrel Model 10 revolvers. Maybe a little more than $400 each if sold with the holsters.

The little snub nose is a Clerke brand pistol and is about as close to worthless as a firearm can be. As I understand it Clerke was a maker of toy cap guns that started making real die cast firearms when the Gun Control Act of 1968 outlawed importing "Saturday Night Specials". They are die-cast zinc and very poor quality, as one would expect from a gun made by a toy manufacturer. It is worth about $50 give or take a little. Personally I wouldn't shoot one or sell it unless I knew I were selling it to someone who knew exactly what it was and knows what a poor quality firearm they are.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
$400-$450 for the S&W in my neck of the woods. The bottom one is a Clerke- probably the worst revolver ever made. Maybe $50 for that one.

I see BC38 beat me to it. :)

Reactions: mschmidt626

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought as much about the Clerke pistol. It feels like cheap plastic and pulling the pin out in order to load it makes me so uncomfortable while staring down the barrel. I've never fired it and definitely won't be now. Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

The .38s are very solid and I have taken them to the range to fire. They have some power, but are "big" for my hands and the recoil was more than I expected. Definitely not as easy as my Sig P938 for me to shoot.

·
Registered
12,677 Posts
Your 38 special, Model 10's would be worth around $375-400 each here. At a gun shop you would probably be offered $500 for the pair if trading on a new firearm. If you offered them up for sale at $350 each, I think they would go fairly quick

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
The C serial number gun is from 1966-67 and the D serial number gun is from 1975-76. Model 10s are always popular but with millions made the value stays low. Around here you don't see much in the way of shootable S&Ws for less than $500.

·
Registered
12,547 Posts
Welcome; how do you know you can shoot a 9mm better - have you tried? there are gun stores in the Houston area where you can rent - I would suggest you do that; nothing wrong with those 38s, but if you do not like them, then they should go to a better home

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, I currently have a Sig 9mm and I am much more accurate with it than with the 38s. Also the 9mm is easier to carry concealed. I guess as backups I could keep the revolvers strategically placed around the house for home defense.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
What's the process for selling them privately? I'm guessing I can't post them on Ebay?
The process would vary depending on where you are, and the location of the buyer. In some states like Idaho, you can meet the buyer and sell it face to face with no paperwork. Here in WA you have to meet the seller at a FFL licencsed firearms dealer, pay them to do a background check, and then complete the transaction including completing paperwork for a transfer of ownership, and the buyer has to wait up to 10 days for the BGC and transfer to be completed. In some states it is even worse than that. Selling and shipping it to someone in another state always requires that the firearm be shipped to a FFL in the buyer's state, and in some states that it be shipped BY an FFL in your state.

You can't sell them on eBay but there are similar sites for selling guns, ammo, and accessories. The biggest one is called Gunbroker, but there is also Guns International, and several other smaller ones.

You could advertise them in the classifieds here as well and then follow whichever process described above that would be applicable for your state and the state laws where the buyer resides.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
12,547 Posts
Yes, I currently have a Sig 9mm and I am much more accurate with it than with the 38s. Also the 9mm is easier to carry concealed. I guess as backups I could keep the revolvers strategically placed around the house for home defense.
My Gllocks have been replaced for both my wife and I by the SIG P365 with the 12 round mages - they just fit both our hands SO much better - give it a look

1 - 14 of 14 Posts