Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you all consider a good .38 snubbie? pocket carry. is the 642 a good choice? thanks.

·
Super Moderator
32,502 Posts
I used to have a model 36 which now belongs to a family member who got her permit to carry not too long ago.

Those are nice.

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
Though I use an old 36 for carry, I think a hammerless model, like the 640 or 642, are far better choices. Bob

·
Registered
600 Posts
Really I can't think of a bad J frame 38 snubby to pocket carry. Well anything that had adjustable sights might be bad.

·
Registered
273 Posts
One time or another I have carried them all, 36 49 M10 2 inch. However the Centennial frame, lightest you can get gets carried more than anything else. One I carry now is a 342 it's as near to perfect as you will find.

Our club runs Back up gun matches couple of times a year, get to see all sorts of small guns shoot 50 rounds or so in competition. S&W Snubs are by far the most reliable & dependable.

Boats

·
Registered
34 Posts
642 or 442 are only about 15 oz. very easy to carry. Hammerless won't snag on the draw. I took "boot grips" off and replaced
with Umcle Mike"s full size J round combat stocks. Ruger's LCR is also worth a look
for comparison at 13.5 oz. Taurus 85UL or
Charter Undercover are 17-17 Oz. and can be had with concealed hammer. Any of them will do the job, but I grab the 642 more
often than the others.

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
Though I also use rubber combat grips during cooler weather, I change to a set of wood Spegel Boot Grips for summer carry, under a T-shirt. The boot grips do not print with an IWB holster.

In winter, I can carry in a pocket holster. The combat grips don't print, even with a OWB pancake holster, or a pocket holster, whjen under a heavier jacket or coat. Bob

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I have only one revolver suitable for pocket carry, a Model 38. Over many years it has been carried in my pocket and it looks pretty bad. Considering all the other stuff that gets stuffed into my pockets, it could look worse. Pretty handy little gun to tote around when nothing else will do.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Any hammerless model is a great choice. I went with a 340pd using 38 sp. gold dots. DO get a good pocket holster. Front pocket carry is best in my opinion. Mika makes a very low cost great product.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts