Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My grandfather recently passed down a 38 s&w CTGE to me. He found it on his property several years ago wedged into a tree and the tree was actually growing around it. He saw the handle sticking out and chiseled it out. He’s owned the property since the early 70’s. Serial number is 125584. Would you be able to find any info? I have tried to look it up but can’t find anything.

·
Registered
15,304 Posts
Welcome,
Would need a lot more than just a number to ID it. Where did you find that number? 38 S&W Ctg. is not a gun name or model. It is what cartridge it is meant to shoot. Ctg. stands for cartridge.

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
A 38 Military and Police with a serial number that low would be from the late ot's to the early teens of the last century.
A picture of the gun would be helpful in verifying that.

Reactions: jonesy814

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The number is on the bottom of the handle. I’m sorry I don’t know a lot about guns. It holds 5 bullets. It doesn’t have a “hammer”. My grandpa chipped a small piece of the handle off when he was chiseling it out of the tree.

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Hmm. I suspect it's not made by Smith & Wesson. Any other markings?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It says on the barrel “38 S&W CTGE”; across the top of the gun it says “H&R arms company, Worcester, mass USA. I was able to find very similar guns on a smith and Wesson website.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts