Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was poking around my favorite local gun shop yesterday and found a box of this stuff.
I had never even heard of it!
.38 SHORT Colt.
I had heard of the .38 LONG Colt.
You know, the one that is universally cussed during fighting with the Moros that hitting the guy over the head with the revolver was actually more effective a stopper than after being shot six times with the stuff. Yeah, I had heard of THAT caliber before......

But....but....NEVER have I heard of this cute little guy.
And guess what?, they fit right into a .38 Special cylinder.
Now just how cool is that. I have always liked the .38 S&W, but felt let down that I could not fire it in a "regular" .38.
Problem solved, although there is no way in hell I will ever fire any of them.
A 125 grain round nose lead bullet.

Does anyone dare me to shoot 5 of them in my S&W 6 inch barreled Model 14 to see how anemic they really are?

I have a Cartridges of the World 6th Ed. and they do not mention it at all. Not even in the OBSOLETE section.
Nothin'. They do talk about the LONG version, no problem.

I am thinking this load might have been intended for those small breaktop revolvers of that period.
The kind that were carried a lot and shot very little.

Well, I thought I might let my new friends know of this new little round I just discovered yesterday.
I bet in a .38 J frame it feels like a .22.

001.JPG

·
Super Moderator
19,332 Posts
Well I'll be........

Reactions: Sportymonk

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
.38 short Colt is listed on page 253 of Cartridges of the World 8th edition (shares a listing w/ .38 long Colt). 130 grain bullets are said to have a muzzle velocity of 770 fps. Probably a totally useless round except for plinking (sort of like a .32), a better novelty than anything else.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
I believe the older 38 Short Colt cartridges originally used a heeled, outside lubricated bullet with a .375" diameter and were used in 36 caliber Colt cap and ball revolvers that were converted for metallic cartridge use. Later Colt went to an inside the case lubed .359" diameter. Both the short and long Colt can be used in 38 Special and 357 Mag revolvers.

The 38 Short Colt is in the same class as the 38 S&W. They are not interchangeable. Apparently the Colt cartridge was not as accurate as it's S&W rival and sales suffered, as did with their early 32 revolvers chambered for the 32 Colt. Colt's fix was to update both their 38 and 32 revolver lines to the "new" 32 and 38 Colt New Police cartridges, which were basically the popular 32 S&W Long and 38 S&W with slightly different loadings. Ain't marketing wonderful. :D

John

·
Banned
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yeah, that is why I have them in my cartridge collection only.
A novelty to play around with and awe the neighbors that never come over.

However, I might write a screenplay where in the last desperate minutes of the struggle, the heroine lady remembers some old .38 Short Colt ammo and uses it in her S&W Model 637 hammerless to destroy the evil Zombie Ninja king.

Sales of the revolver will skyrocket, and the rounds will be worth $5 each.

She could be Steve McQueen's daughter from his "Bullitt" character.

How does the name Judy Bullitt sound?

Coming to a theater near you.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
The .38 Short Colt round was used mainly in the Colt Army & Navy Model revolver with swing-out cylinder developed in 1887. It can be fired in a .38 Special revolver, but not vice versa. Remington is about the only mfg. who recently? made .38 Short Colt ammo, and Black Hills Ammunition reintroduced .38 Long Colt ammo in response to demands from Cowboy Action Shooters. .

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
You do have the shortest one in a family of cases that ends with the .357 Maximum. S&W probably looking to capitalize on compatibility with the then U.S. Service Cartridge (.38 Long Colt), lengthened the Colt round to create the .38 Special. Leaving the .38 S&W on its lonesome. Oddly, that round in various strengths is also known as the .38 Colt New Police, .38-200, .380 (rimmed) Mark I, II.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Well, since there is a 38 long Colt, it stands to reason that there has to be a 38 short Colt - otherwise it would just be the 38 Colt...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was poking around my favorite local gun shop yesterday and found a box of this stuff.
.38 SHORT Colt.
You know, the one that is universally cussed during fighting with the Moros that hitting the guy over the head with the revolver was actually more effective a stopper than after being shot six times with the stuff. Yeah, I had heard of THAT caliber before......

Now just how cool is that. I have always liked the .38 S&W, but felt let down that I could not fire it in a "regular" .38.

Does anyone dare me to shoot 5 of them in my S&W 6 inch barreled Model 14 to see how anemic they really are?

I have a Cartridges of the World 6th Ed. and they do not mention it at all. Not even in the OBSOLETE section.

I am thinking this load might have been intended for those small breaktop revolvers of that period.

Well, I thought I might let my new friends know of this new little round I just discovered yesterday.

View attachment 146337

·
Registered
6 Posts
Converted Colt navies, model 1851, [ .36 bore / 38 cal.] use these . Starline brass makes the cartridges at an affordable price and Uberti makes a good retro. Using a 105 grain lead semi wad cutter and 4 grains of Universal powder these have been clocked at an average of 1050 FPS. from a 6 inch barrel. A decent low recoil load. See Fortunecookie45LC's video on Youtube..."any sue for a 38 SC" and "38 short colt powder burn efficiency compared to a 38 special 105 grain Lee SWC"
and
. Reloaders actually use these. Since the Colt repros have a 45 LC rating [ 4.7 gr load ] the brass and pistol can handle a slightly boosted charge. [ 4-4.5 grain, I'd say..the LC rates as a 4.7 gr charge, so you'd have a safety margin. NOT recommended for Jacketed rounds. ]

·
Registered
6 Posts
.38 SHORT Colt.

View attachment 146337
.38 SHORT Colt.

View attachment 146337

·
Registered
6 Posts
Converted Colt navies, model 1851, [ .36 bore / 38 cal.] use these . Starline brass makes the cartridges at an affordable price and Uberti makes a good retro. Using a 105 grain lead semi wad cutter and 4 grains of Universal powder these have been clocked at an average of 1050 FPS. from a 6 inch barrel. A decent low recoil load. See Fortunecookie45LC's video on Youtube..."any sue for a 38 SC" and "38 short colt powder burn efficiency compared to a 38 special 105 grain Lee SWC"
and
. Reloaders actually use these. Since the Colt repros have a 45 LC rating [ 4.7 gr load ] the brass and pistol can handle a slightly boosted charge. [ 4-4.5 grain, I'd say..the LC rates as a 4.7 gr charge, so you'd have a safety margin. NOT recommended for Jacketed rounds. ]
"The Eastwood" round...G B and U.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
With over 1500 sizes of ammo there a lot of cartridges that you do not see often.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
How about 38 Short Rimfire?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
A pic of a pair of Colt "army pistols" in .38 colt long. These are the guns that wouldn't stop the Moros and brought about the return of the .45.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah...older 1903 powder and light loads....rating about 600 FPS.
Modern Universal powder , with a 4 grain charge and a 105 grain SWC, in a short case, opposed to a 130 grain Round nose, cranks out about 400 fps more speed and a improved impact. Compression helps.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Saw several boxes today on dealers shelf, by REMINGTON - $35.00 a box. This was new stuff. Also known as 38S&W I load my own for about $3.25 a box. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts