Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a .38 S.&W. SPL. and I would like to know the year and model and whether the finish is nickel or stainless. Also, would it be safe to shoot +P rounds with it?
Serial#: R154XXX
It is a 1-7/8" and comparing it to the models on S&W's site it looks like the Model 36.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
looks as though it may be a model 60. If that is the case, it is a satin stainless chiefs special, j frame 5 shot. The serial range puts it between 1974 and 1977. 1974 started with r100000 and 1977 ended with r190000, so I would guess somewhere towards the end of 1975??

·
Super Moderator
11,419 Posts
If I am looking at the book right, that would likely be a Model 60 which is the stainless version of the old model 36. Serial number puts it in the '74 to '77 year range.

·
Registered
753 Posts
The best part is you can shoot it with +P rounds (I do mine with no ill effects).

The factory +P is kind of weak anyways, not like a good ole homemade reload kihfL

·
Registered
21,209 Posts
I've got a M-36, but I think S&W improved upon the basic design by making the M-60 in stainless steel. Real handy, small revolvers to carry, but they both have a little more weight to handle the +P loads. ;) Bob

·
Registered
273 Posts
Even though they look alike I think the 60's are right much different than 36's Frames are just a bit longer. I have a 36 and it shares nothing except Grip size with my 342.

You guys know more about it then me but, Collector apeal aside Personal opinion is 60's are the ultimate development of the J Frame S&W

Boats

1 - 8 of 8 Posts