Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get a better approximation on the make date of my family's M&P 3rd Change; that has some legend based stories, tall tales, and lies tied to it :) (Has 6 filed marks.... if you know what I mean, from WWI).

Serial Number: 223633 (all locations matching).

Made somewhere between 1912 - 1914 estimated, but trying to get a better approximation, for actual use during World War I. It's had a bit of weathered wear, and much use, and holstering wear. I am the 4th generation receiving and my son will be the 5th. Still works and shoots like it is brand new after ~108 years, with .356" lead cast custom reloads (bores at .355").

Hoping anyone with a better database on the M&P 3rd Change can get a better approximation of the year make, would be a huge benefit.

??
Thanks all!
-GC

·
Premium Member
20,720 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass, GC! I think you have nailed the shipping date as close as possible without an historian's letter. I recommend you get one as it would enhance your provenance. They are now $100 from the Historical Foundation. I think the value in the gun is in the back story which only your family can provide. I doubt it was used in WWI unless it was authorized as a personal sidearm. The official handguns of the US in WWI were the Colt 1911 and the Colt/S&W 1917s. All of them chambered the .45 ACP which was the official army cartridge. It might have been possible to get .38 Special during WWI but probably not through military supplies. So, there must be some other explanation for the notches. Anyway, that's the best I can do. Maybe someone else has more insight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts