Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My neighbors husband passed away a few years ago. For 4 years the pistol was neglected and was in pretty rough shape and not functioning at all. I was asked, if I would clean it up and get it functioning again.

Was compete dissemble, blasted the rust off, new Cerakote applied and reassembled.

My problem is the cylinder doesn't rotate all the time when pulling the trigger. I'd say 25% of the time it does revolve, the other 75% it doesn't.

I'm wondering if the part I have the arrow pointed at is wore out. Does the extractor look wore out? Or does someone have another idea what the problem may be?

Thanks
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,331 Posts
When you reassembled the gun and installed the hand into the trigger you missed compressing the hand spring. The hand spring (inside the trigger) needs to bear against the pin on the hand to make it spring forward and engage the ratchet teeth.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,723 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Yes, a pigtail spring goes inside the trigger and pushes down on the hand pin to rotate it forward to engage the ratchet. If it is missing, you can buy a replacement from gunpartscorp.com.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Injunbro

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,792 Posts
I bet it's still in there just not in the correct position.
Ditto that. I made the same mistake the first time I reassembled one.

The fact that the pin circled in red is still in the trigger is an almost certain indicator that the spring is still in place too - since the spring wraps around this pin.
492771
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
20,723 Posts
I see the torsion spring pin in the trigger. That goes through the coil of the pigtail. If the OP didn't remove the pins when he cerakoted them, the spring is captured inside.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Ditto that. I made the same mistake the first time I reassembled one.

The fact that the pin circled in red is still in the trigger is an almost certain indicator that the spring is still in place too - since the spring wraps around this pin.
View attachment 492771
Thank you so much, I joined the page to just say thank you. You just pointing that out made me look at mine, and sure enough that's exactly what it was. Thank you!!!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,792 Posts
You're very welcome. That's what we all do around here - help each other out and share what we've learned. Pass it on.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Wiregrassguy
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top