Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please help me identify my .38 S &W special CTG. It was a gift from grandpa and he can't remember where or when he got it. Would just like to know how old it is and whether its safe to use +P ammo. The serial number is K768XXX. Thanks for any help. View attachment 467239

Attachments

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
pictures of both sides of the gun would be a help.

·
Registered
12,675 Posts
Yep, need a bit more info. Fixed sights or adjustable? How long is the barrel from cylinder face to end of barrel?

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
While a limited amount of +P will not hurt that revolver, it is set up as a Target Revolver and as such will show much better performances with standard fare.

Okay, for some reason all of the photos did not show up in my first look. It is model marked as a Model 15-2 so yes, +P is safe in that revolver. S&W says any model marked 38 Special can use plus P.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
11,469 Posts
K7568xx shipped 10/67
K7770xx shipped 6/68.

Reactions: Forester

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
While a limited amount of +P will not hurt that revolver, it is set up as a Target Revolver and as such will show much better performances with standard fare.

Okay, for some reason all of the photos did not show up in my first look. It is model marked as a Model 15-2 so yes, +P is safe in that revolver. S&W says any model marked 38 Special can use plus P.

Kevin
Thanks man I will stick to standard rounds.

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
I’m sorry but that is just not true. It’s ok to be cautious but to do that based on bad information is flawed. The all steel model 15 will shoot +P ammo until the cows come home. It is basically the same revolver as a model 19 .357, only with MORE steel between the charge hole and the outside of the cylinder. Today’s +P 38 Special is what full house 38 special loads were 70 years ago.

Rant over, enjoy that gun. It will outlast you.

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Beautiful gun. Yea, there's no reason to shoot P+ ammo if all you're doing is punching holes in a piece of paper, or making a tin can dance around the back forty. Save the high price spread for serious social work if you're so inclined. :)

I've got a 15-2 from the same time period. Mine is a K67 prefix, and the book puts that at 1966. Yours is in the 1967 column.

Mine has a target hammer, and trigger and Smith and Wesson diamond target stocks. Your's wears a nice looking set of what appear to be Herter's Shooting Stars. Nice grips. I had them on another Model 15.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Beautiful gun. Yea, there's no reason to shoot P+ ammo if all you're doing is punching holes in a piece of paper, or making a tin can dance around the back forty. Save the high price spread for serious social work if you're so inclined. :)

I've got a 15-2 from the same time period. Mine is a K67 prefix, and the book puts that at 1966. Yours is in the 1967 column.

Mine has a target hammer, and trigger and Smith and Wesson diamond target stocks. Your's wears a nice looking set of what appear to be Herter's Shooting Stars. Nice grips. I had them on another Model

Mine has a target hammer, and trigger and Smith and Wesson diamond target stocks. Your's wears a nice looking set of what appear to be Herter's Shooting Stars. Nice grips. I had them on another Model 15.
I'm with you it is a beautiful gun. Thank you for naming the grips as I hadn't been able to find a photo of one with the same ones. So are they aftermarket or would they have ordered them with the gun? My trigger and hammer are not the wide target ones I've seen in photos but they are both a contrasting silver finish that I really like.

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
Those would be aftermarket grips. Very nice ones though. Herter's was a large firearm supply company back in the day. I don't think the company itself is still in business, although the name continues on, on some products.

Here's mine with "diamond targets." They are factory, and period correct, but probably add on's, unless they were special ordered. That may have happened in this case, since it has the target hammer and trigger, but I'm too cheap to pay for a factory letter. :)

Reactions: 45acp230 and K22

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Gorgeous revolver sir. I can't thank you enough for all the info. Everyone in this forum thus far has been great. Much appreciated.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts