Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16,255 Posts
Welcome to the forum from NE Georgia. Can't help much on the info but they are great shooting. Fantastic heirloom. Do you have any info or history from your Dad? I would write it down. Good luck with gathering history as I think that is a big part of the mystery of owning these old guns is their history. If only they could talk. Sure she has some war stories.

·
Registered
10,155 Posts
My Victory V5088xx shipped in 1944. Looks just like yours. Being a .38 Special likely means it stayed on this side of the pond for security or similar use. The ones sent over there were bored for ..38 S&W, aka .38/200.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
351 Posts
The serial puts the gun in late 1943, maybe November (+/-).

It looks to be in nice shape with the original finish. Only the grip panels are later post-war replacements.

Does it have a US PROPERTY GHD stamp on the left topstrap? That would mean it was shipped to the military, usually the Navy. Without, it went to a civilian recipient like police or defense contractor.

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
pix557042533.jpg For what its worth, it left the factory with a wartime phosphate finish and smooth arch topped grips. During WWII most civilian purchasers including plant security and police departments received either the S&W Victory Model or a Colt Commando (think Official Police) in military configuration. Those placed with the U.S. Maritime Commission (Merchant Marine) are also considered civilian. These distributions occurred under the control of the Defense Supplies Corporation. These revolvers usually bear few or no associated military stampings.

Victory Models experienced every fate imaginable post WWII. Some were reported to be on active service as late as the Desert Storm conflict.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts