Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 38 S&W Special CTG possible .38/44 Heavy or Outdoorsman it has a 6.5 inch barrel. SN on bottom of handle is 39768 as well as on the frame behind the swing arm and the letter A above this. The number 83761 is under the barrel once the swing arm is released. Can someone tell me more about the model?

Attachments

·
Registered
make mine 45 acp 😎
4,071 Posts
the model was introduced 1930, and had a standard barrel of 5", although shorter and longer versions are seen

id expect the number on the bottom of the grip frame, face of cylinder, and the barrel flat to match. #39768 indicates a 1932/33 shipping.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum.That would be a Heavy Duty. The Outdoorsman has adjustable sights. Offhand I would think it has been refinished and grips are not original
Thanks. I do know the crips were replaced by my great grandfather. I also believe if there's a "B" that meant it was blued but this one doesn't seem to be refinished.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the model was introduced 1930, and had a standard barrel of 5", although shorter and longer versions are seen

id expect the number on the bottom of the grip frame, face of cylinder, and the barrel flat to match. #39768 indicates a 1932/33 shipping.

View attachment 493301
Thanks for the answer and additional info. That helps.

·
Registered
10,095 Posts
Hey Blue,

Welcome to S&W!

Great old 38/44! Good for you!

Shoot it well & often!

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
20,710 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Please post some closeup pictures of the serials inside the extractor shroud, the rear face of the cylinder and the butt frame. Also, push out the extractor star and see if there is a B or N stamped on the cylinder beneath the star. Then, post a closeup picture of the left side of the frame including the trademark stamp and top of the grip.

·
Super Moderator
35,557 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I agree with the others about the model that you have there, fine looking old Smith!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.