Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a "new to me" revolver tonight. Traded 2 old shotguns ….. ANYWAY, it is a very heavy bbl, 4 inch SS, NO hammer spur, DA only and bears no model OR serial #. Friend of mine suggests a CIA issue, maybe. From what I have gleaned thus far in searches tonight, it must be a "Centennial" ?/meaning born before 1957? It only bears Smith and Wesson on left side of bbl, and 38 S and W special CTG. on right side.
Has a "hand whittled to fit" set of Uncle Mikes grips on it, says fits K or L frame w round butt. Cleaned her up, took her straight to the range tonight under the headlights and she shoots like a dream; just an inch or so left. Oh, and fixed notch in back; blade front, no insert.

Any takers on what she is ?
Appreciate any help!

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
We need several good pictures to help id your gun. The serial number will be on the bottom of the grip frame and you may need to remove the grips to see it. Letters are part of the serial number. Open the cylinder and there should be a model number and possibly other irrelevant numbers visible stamped on the frame.

pre-model 23 38-44_03.jpg mod 68-1sm.jpg

4" heavy barreled fixed sight SS K frames came into existance in 1972 and some were made with bobbed hammers for PD use. Sounds like you may have a model 64. Pictures will tell.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
12,647 Posts
If it is a pre model number gun then it can't be stainless steel since S&W didn't make stainless in a in the 50s. Could be nickel or a hard chrome finish. If it truely has no serial number there are legal problems with ownership as every S&W 38 Special that left the factory did so with a serial number
Does the gun have adjustable or fixed sights.
The Centennial is a snub nosed, 5 shot small frame revolver with an internal hammer

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SO,
I let my buddy know that I posted the message he sent me and gave him the advice that has been shared by you fine folks. He is in the process of surrendering his weapon. Thank you all for your help in this matter.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like a 64 but like the man said it may be chrome instead of stainless. I will see if he can send me some pictures. So the way I understand this is if it was made before a certain year that doesn't necessarily have to have a serial number on it to be legal? I don't know about pistols so much, but I know I've got some old shotguns that are not serialized and they are legal. If there was a way to make it legal oh, I sure would like to know that too. Like, could you talk to the batf and could they assign a serial number to it? I don't know how that works. Any help is very much appreciated, as you guys have been great and some fine folks with a lot of good information on here..

·
Registered
12,647 Posts
Looks like a 64 but like the man said it may be chrome instead of stainless. I will see if he can send me some pictures. So the way I understand this is if it was made before a certain year that doesn't necessarily have to have a serial number on it to be legal? I don't know about pistols so much, but I know I've got some old shotguns that are not serialized and they are legal. If there was a way to make it legal oh, I sure would like to know that too. Like, could you talk to the batf and could they assign a serial number to it? I don't know how that works. Any help is very much appreciated, as you guys have been great and some fine folks with a lot of good information on here..
Are you looking in the correct spot for the serial number? It is on the butt of the gun and you may have to remove the grips to see it. Before a certain date, serial numbers were not required, but if the gun was originally stamped with one it still has to be there. All S&W revolvers were stamped with a serial number, even in the 1800s, so if there isn't one on the gun then it has been defaced/removed and that is where the problem is

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Those grips cover the bottom of the grip frame and obscure the SN. Take them off and loot at the bottom of the grip frame and there should be a serial number stamped there as shown in ArkieVol's first photo above.
That sure looks like a stainless DA model 64 to me.

·
Registered
12,647 Posts
Yep, looks like a stainless model 64. Should be stamped on the frame and visible with the cylinder open. Probably says Mod 64-6. Made between 1998 and 2002.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts