Smith And Wesson Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
I see that "Vega Sac Ca" on your last picture of the revolver. Are you familiar with Vega?
All I know is that Vega Arms of Sacramento was the lead importer for the FTR’d Australian BSR’s once surplus was allowed in again after 1986. There are very few BSR’s with Australian D^D or A^F property stamps floating around the collector market that were NOT imported by Vega, but very rare.

Other than that, in 1911 forums one can find horror stories about some 1911 clones which Vega put together and sold under its name, but I’ve never encountered one. I don’t know when Vega went out of business.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Vega made some decent full size 1911s, but the smaller ones were rife with problems. Similar in size if not exactly to a Detonics Combat Master (which suffered from high production costs), I believe Vega out sourced many key parts and quality control. took a dive. They are so similar to Detonics that I saw one in a local store that does a fairly high volume, good selection, reasonable prices, I picked up one and marveled at it's closeness in appearance to Detonics. I flipped over and saw the magazine was stamped "Detonics". At the very end of Vegas run, there was almost no quality control. Where they were assembled and distributed from was once a highly rated retail store in Sacramento CA. The company changed hands (some say it was familial, I don't know) and it rapidly declined in every area and was boarded up.

I'm wondering how Vega refinished your 38 S&W. Vega was only in business a short time, a couple years as I recall.

As for Detonics, I had one in 1983-85. It's a quirky little gem. A bunch of little operation maladies. Fit and finish was top notch. Had to let it go for financial reasons. I bought actually an older model last spring. Right from the start it wasn't right. Failure to eject, feed, shoot more than 3 rounds in a row without a mishap. I finally found a decent gunsmith in Ripon CA who saw the extractor was broken. Replaced and meticulously cleaned, it's a shooting little machine. A pleasure to shoot all day. Much easier on the wrist than a Commander or even an officer's model.

Anyway, that's a really nice 38 SW you got and if ammo wasn't so expensive, real fun to shoot.

Take Care
Frank3

·
Registered
346 Posts

I'm wondering how Vega refinished your 38 S&W. Vega was only in business a short time, a couple years as I recall.

That’s some interesting background, thanks!

Vega didn’t refinish this or any of the revolvers; that was part of the Australian refurbishment at Lithgow in the 1950s.

That’s why the Australian BSR’s largely escaped other mutilations like barrel cutting and chamber reaming to fit .38 Special: by the 1980s, the urge to make these military relics more “attractive” to shooters had abated, and Vega just put the required importer stamp on them and otherwise sold them as they were.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts