Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12,229 Posts
That is a very nice revolver. S&W didnt use a model number system until 1957. Before that the guns had a name. Yours is a 38 military & police model, made before 1951 I would say. After 1957 is was assigned the model # 10. The hammer and trigger were case hardened which results in colors like yellow or blue showing on them. A good gun oil can be used to preserve the finish, which is excellent on your gun. The grips are newer than the gun

·
Premium Member
18,486 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Actually your gun was made in 1948 or earlier. It has the long throw action that was phased out in 1948. If you'll give us the serial number from the butt of the gun we might be able to be more accurate.

Guy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is a very nice revolver. S&W didnt use a model number system until 1957. Before that the guns had a name. Yours is a 38 military & police model, made before 1951 I would say. After 1957 is was assigned the model # 10. The hammer and trigger were case hardened which results in colors like yellow or blue showing on them. A good gun oil can be used to preserve the finish, which is excellent on your gun. The grips are newer than the gun
Thank you! Pretty amazing. Dad left me several firearms and always told me to “make sure you take care of them like I do” I’m planning on getting my CWP with this one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Actually your gun was made in 1948 or earlier. It has the long throw action that was phased out in 1948. If you'll give us the serial number from the butt of the gun we might be able to be more accurate.

Guy
Thank you! I’ll be sure to get the S/N to you guys for a more accurate dating!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Actually your gun was made in 1948 or earlier. It has the long throw action that was phased out in 1948. If you'll give us the serial number from the butt of the gun we might be able to be more accurate.

Guy
Is it the shape of the hammer that identifies it as the long action?

·
Premium Member
18,486 Posts
Yes. The long action hammer tang extends from the top of the hammer. The short action tang is lower down the back of the hammer.

Long throw action on my 1948 M&P.

Short throw action on my 1949 M&P: This is also known as the "fish hook hammer" and "high speed hammer."

Also the 4 line Made in USA, Marcus Registradas stamp started in 1948 and that can also be a good indicator.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes. The long action hammer tang extends from the top of the hammer. The short action tang is lower down the back of the hammer.

Short throw action on my 1949 M&P: This is also known as the "fish hook hammer" and "high speed hammer."

Also the 4 line Made in USA, Marcus Registradas stamp started in 1948 and that can also be a good indicator.

Ok, here’s a picture of the butt of the 38 with the S/N. That should help narrow down the year.

·
Premium Member
18,486 Posts
It's likely late 1947 or early 1948.

Guy

Reactions: TBlake

·
Registered
16,926 Posts
Welcome to the forum from NE Georgia. That is a great Snubby you have there.

Reactions: TBlake

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Hello! Any thoughts on an OWB holster for the 38? Tried a J frame and it was too small.

·
Super Moderator
10,842 Posts
Any K frame holster will work. You’ll find you go through a few before you find what you like.

·
Premium Member
18,486 Posts
Forester is correct about a K frame holster fitting your frame and cylinder. However, you might find you need a holster for a 2in or 3in Barrel. Also I prefer leather over Kydex or Cordura. What you select is very personal. It depends on where you want to carry such as cross draw or behind the back. I suggest going to two or three of the major holster manufacturers and browsing through their catalog. Also there's usually a pretty good selection on eBay. Once you find something you like, post the model number and perhaps someone that owns one can give you specific feedback.

Guy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts