Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received a 38 special S&W, serial # 763XXX with a V to the far left of serial number. Blued steel, 4" barrel, MADE IN U.S.A. on right side of frame below cylinder. Cylinder is also serial numbered.
This is not a pristine pistol but curious to get an idea of date of manufacturing and reason for the V before serial number. No lanyard hole, don't think it's a victory model.
Also want to confirm that it's safe to shoot an occasional +P in it. Gun is tight and mechanical sound.
Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is not like other victory models I've seen, the V is some distance to the left of serial number. About 1/2" in front of the number. No lanyard loop or hole.

·
Premium Member
12,290 Posts
How about showing a picture of the butt of the gun?

with a "V"

and without a "V"

My guess is the hole on your revolver has been filled. The "V"'s were separate from the s/n to make room for the hole. Look at the back side of the cylinder and see if there is a "V" there. Also look at the flat part of the underbarrel.

see the "V" at the one o'clock position.

and the "V" in front of the numbers on the flat part of the barrel

·
Premium Member
12,290 Posts
This is what it can look like when the lanyard hole has been filled in.

Reactions: Wiregrassguy

·
Premium Member
12,290 Posts
It is pretty easy to install a new swivel if the hole has not been filled.

·
Premium Member
12,290 Posts
The barrel on your revolver looks like it may have some proofs on it. Similar to this??

·
Premium Member
20,710 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! I agree with Jonesy. It is a British Service Revolver. I believe I can read .38 S&W CTG (not .38 S&W Special CTG) on the barrel. AND the barrel has been cut to 4" and the front sight very poorly soldered back on. The question is "was the cylinder changed to .38 Special?" If the serial numbers on the cylinder include a V and match the butt and under the barrel, it is a complete, but modified BSR. With the V it is a very late manufacture in 1945. They made them up to V769xxx or so. If there is no V, it is a pre-Victory BSR made before the US entered the War.

Reactions: Waidmann

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You guys nailed it, lanyard hole has been filled, has V on cylinder and under barrel lug. Faint marking on barrel does say 38 s&w ctg. Fellow I got it from had been carrying 38 specials in it. I haven't shot it yet.
I'm guessing it's still chambered for 38 s&w, 38 sp. Ammo will chamber. Is there any way to check if cylinder has been converted?
You folks are great!

·
Premium Member
12,290 Posts
You guys nailed it, lanyard hole has been filled, has V on cylinder and under barrel lug. Faint marking on barrel does say 38 s&w ctg. Fellow I got it from had been carrying 38 specials in it. I haven't shot it yet.
I'm guessing it's still chambered for 38 s&w, 38 sp. Ammo will chamber. Is there any way to check if cylinder has been converted?
You folks are great!
Look at the cylinder chambers. If the barrel says .38SW and is the original barrel and it chambers .38 specials the cylinder has been converted or replaced. If you see two circles in the chambers then the cylinder has been converted.

they may also have put an insert into the chambers like this

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It has been reamed, will probably stick with wadcutters when shooting it. The pistol was a gift and has considerable sentimental value to me. Older fellow kept it on top of his refrigerator for home defense.
Thank you all for your help.

·
Premium Member
12,290 Posts
Wadcutters are a great choice IMHO. This BSR was converted by Parker Hale in England. It shipped in June 1941. My first six rounds using wadcutters. They make a beautiful hole in paper.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fellow also passed on to me a model 10-6 that has had barrel and cylinder changed to .357 mag. ,so in theory I have a model 10/13. Part change was done by a reputable gunsmith. No collector value but a fine shooter. Also received a nickel plated 4" barrel 32 s&w long, hand ejector. Finish is flaking but she's tight. Serial # 355XXX, all original.
Needless to say fellow had some interesting firearms.

·
Premium Member
12,290 Posts
Fellow also passed on to me a model 10-6 that has had barrel and cylinder changed to .357 mag. ,so in theory I have a model 10/13. Part change was done by a reputable gunsmith. No collector value but a fine shooter. Also received a nickel plated 4" barrel 32 s&w long, hand ejector. Finish is flaking but she's tight. Serial # 355XXX, all original.
Needless to say fellow had some interesting firearms.
I'd say so. Nice collection. I did the 10/13 the hard way.

Model 10-6

Model 13-2

or if you like a larger set of stocks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.