Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inherited this gun when my father passed. I was hoping I could get some more information on it.
For example common name (I heard it called a bicycle gun), estimated value etc..
I'm new to the forum, so I hope I didn't skip any steps!
38 Caliber S&W CTGE
SN: 98297

Here are some photos:

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks great
It's a bit dirty, and the action is less than desirable. Trigger doesn't want to return. Might just need a but of lubrication. Would love to take the trigger assembly apart, but I'm definitely NOT a gunsmith and don't want to take any chances!

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
Trigger doesn't want to return. Might just need a but of lubrication.
Can't do any harm by spraying penetrating oil into every opening that might dribble down into the trigger mechanism. Should be able to tell right away if this is helping. If the problem is a weak trigger or other spring, the cost of repair will probably exceed the value of the gun--a situation I'm in right now with another H&R.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can't do any harm by spraying penetrating oil into every opening that might dribble down into the trigger mechanism. Should be able to tell right away if this is helping. If the problem is a weak trigger or other spring, the cost of repair will probably exceed the value of the gun--a situation I'm in right now with another H&R.
Thats what I'm afraid of. Want to use it, but obviously can't as of yet. I'm going to try some dry Remington lubricant (for some reason that doesn't seem right ), to see what I can loosen up!
If that doesn't work...penetrating oil is the next step.

·
Registered
19,945 Posts
Thats what I'm afraid of. Want to use it, but obviously can't as of yet. I'm going to try some dry Remington lubricant (for some reason that doesn't seem right ), to see what I can loosen up!

As long as you realize that 38 S&W is NOT the common 38 Special

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
I'm going to try some dry Remington lubricant (for some reason that doesn't seem right ), to see what I can loosen up!
Suspect you're wasting your time with a "dry" lubricant, & also WD-40. Break-Free or Kroil spray is what I'd use, though completely submerging the gun in a liquid would be better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Suspect you're wasting your time with a "dry" lubricant, & also WD-40. Break-Free or Kroil spray is what I'd use, though completely submerging the gun in a liquid would be better.
Oh...I agree. Just what I have on hand right now.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts

I didn't know you can use Remington lubricant on an H&R.
This is why I joined. (Learning something new all the time!)
:D

Sent from my Commodore 64 running Windoze 95

Reactions: Flivver90
1 - 15 of 15 Posts