6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
Hey Orb,

Welcome to S&W!

Wow! What an interesting 38/44!

That is a barrel band type front sight, King's & others made them in the '30's?

Micro (the rear sight) continued in business until the late '70's. I had a set of their sights on a 1911...

Later, Mark

Reactions: jeepnut and combat

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
It's a re-done HD, not an Outdoorsman. It didn't start life with target sights. Kinda neat though.
Exactly... the dead giveaway is in the pic of the frame top strap, it clearly shows the remainder of the milled in 1/2 round shaped sight channel for a fixed sight frame 38/44 Heavy Duty.

·
Premium Member
20,718 Posts
Hi, Orb! Big splash you made with that beauty. Glad to see you figured out how to post pictures. They're doozies! Somebody paid big bucks back in the day to have those mods done. I think you've gotten spot on feedback on which model it started as. Definitely a Transitional .38/44 HD. My question is "has it been reamed for .357 Magnum?" See if a magnum cartridge will fully insert into a cylinder chamber. If you don't have one, post a picture down the chambers with lighting from behind and we may be able to tell if reaming was done.

Although heavily modified and refinished, I think your gun still has significant value in the low 4 figures, especially to collectors that revere the King and Micro conversions. You might check with Bill (1aspenhill) who runs https://38-44heavyduty.com/. He will gladly receive your serial number for his database, or he may already have it, and may want to post a picture of your gun on his site. Congratulations on acquiring a very interesting S&W handgun!

·
Registered
8,182 Posts
My only 38/44. Shipped in 1934. Probably my favorite gun. :) Still looking for a Model Marked Mod 20. ;)

·
Registered
863 Posts
I'm not big on altered or customized guns but I have to admit that one is really nice. I don't know if I've ever seen that slip on front sight before and the Micro adjustable rear looks very sturdy and dependable. Even the grips don't appear to be the standard football cutouts, I like everything about it, it's just a classy hard worker.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts