Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shipped on October 28th, 1935 and delivered to Bob Smith Sporting Goods Co. , Boston, MA... Factory records indicate it was shipped with a 5 inch barrel, blue finish, and checkered walnut grips...

Unfortunately, the original grips are no longer with the gun. The set of Jay Scotts that are currently on it will disappear as soon as I find a pair of period correct ones... ;)

Giz

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Congratulations on a fine acquisition, Giz! jvfmn;o
I still think those 38/44's were the strongest, best-built guns ever!
Now you'll have another 'hobby'...finding a nice set of period-correct grips.
Don

·
Registered
19,786 Posts
Real nice, Giz. kfjdrfirii Now the fun starts......finding those period correct grips. Were they checkered Service Stocks? In the mean time, those J Scott grips look mighty fine, and.....not out of place, either!!!! ;) Bob

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bob,

The letter said that it was shipped with checkered walnut grips. I love that one... I've seen flame wars started over what to call them ... Stocks or Grips. S&W called it the Stocking Department so I always went with the Stocks side of the argument. But here Roy Jinks called them grips...

Go and figure! :mrgreen:

giz

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Giz: You have shown a lot of really nice S&W's here in the forum, and
you continue to impress with this latest acqusition.

When I hear or read about a "Combat Revolver", I instantly picture a fixed sight, pre-war, 3rd model hand ejector.
The round front sight and shrouded ejector rod housing, along with the flat hammer, give what I consider pleasing lines, along with perceived sturdiness.

I prefer the 5 inch barrel, even though collectors pay more for the scarce 4 inch specimens. The 5 inch probably filled a lot more police holsters.

Good luck on your quest for original grips/stocks. And congrats on a
Duesy of a 38/44 HD; sort of the Duesenberg of the S&W 38's.

The only thing that could pass a Duesenberg was another Duesenberg, the only thing that can surpass a 38/44 HD is another 38/44 HD.

Hank

·
Registered
19,786 Posts
Giz, You know how that goes..... :roll: S&W isn't consistent on anything it did in the past. They may have used some left over "stocks" from a previous model! Not to fret though.......even those
Jay Scott "stocks" look good to me. ;) Bob

·
Registered
288 Posts
Gizamo said:
Bob,

The letter said that it was shipped with checkered walnut grips. I love that one... I've seen flame wars started over what to call them ... Stocks or Grips. S&W called it the Stocking Department so I always went with the Stocks side of the argument. But here Roy Jinks called them grips...

Go and figure! :mrgreen:

giz
Tomato, tomahto... ryperp

·
Registered
19,786 Posts
It may not be "period correct" or as "originally shipped", but I like it anyway......just the way it is!!!! ;) Bob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts