Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw a S&W 38/200 revolver at the LGS. It had "Made in USA" on the right side of the frame, and "England" stamped on the cylinder circumference. What is it? The old gentleman behind the counter said he put a .38 spl in the cylinder and it fit. It had a 2" barrel.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sounds like a cut-down and bored-out S&W Victory model to me; the kind of gun that Oswald shot that Dallas cop with back in '63. Not much collector value in them and some of them will spilt the cases of 38 spl's. There are a lot of them around and IMHO they're best avoided. -S2

·
Registered
45 Posts
What Speedo2 said.

The 38/200 was chambered in 38 S&W - Not S&W "Special"

The Brits loaded a 200 grain bullet thus the 38/200. My father had one when I was in middle school. And yes, it split the crap out of .38 special cases. A local gunsmith at the time explained to him what he had and advised him not to shoot it. If I came across one today for a low enough price I might pick it up and just shoot the original .38 S&W in it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This one is priced at $300, which I suspect is 50% too high.

What Speedo2 said.

The 38/200 was chambered in 38 S&W - Not S&W "Special"

The Brits loaded a 200 grain bullet thus the 38/200. My father had one when I was in middle school. And yes, it split the crap out of .38 special cases. A local gunsmith at the time explained to him what he had and advised him not to shoot it. If I came across one today for a low enough price I might pick it up and just shoot the original .38 S&W in it.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
What it was: A merchandising ploy to sell off cheap British surplus (American made) S&W 38's, not 38 special, revolvers to American consumers who were looking for a cheap 38 special home guardian. The snub nose ones I have seen had the front locking lug under the barrel cut off; this spring catch ensures the cylinder will stay locked and closed. The cylinder chambers for the 38 are larger than the 38 special, thus the split cases experienced when shooting 38 specials in a gun that was built for the larger diameter S&W 38 cases. . . . In my opinion a wall hanger. . . . . . . .This picture may show the unsupported extractor rod which normally would lock into the lug under the barrel (missing in the photo) which combined with the lock at the rear of the cylinder keeps the cylinder closed and aligned with the barrel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts