Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to my friends over in America,

I'm still waiting for my 360PD to be delivered. One question about it is: Will the front fiber optic sight hold up well? On all the photos it looks really delicat and it tells me, "I want to break!". Is there someone who can tell me if that's correct?
And if yes, is there a way to replace that thing with a "standard" front sight made from aluminum/steel (just a front post)?

Thank you for your answers, I am really excited about this gun :)
Greetings and much hope from Switzerland, I do what I can to support you in these times.
Robin

·
Super Moderator
34,441 Posts
I think you will want to quit shooting before the sight might be damaged but with how light that pistol is I would check the sight regularly. That gun is light even by my standards good luck and have fun shooting!

·
Registered
23,435 Posts
I've had fiber optic sights on my pet model 60 .357 for several years and it's been carried all over the mountains and bounced around on the floor of my Jeep (in a leather holster). No signs of breaking yet. It will out shoot any other handgun I own.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey there

Today I finally got the papers to buy the gun which was laying around for about two weeks at the gunstore (I was in holidays..). My first revolver.. Imagine how happy I am right now :cool: After 2h work I'll go to the range and test it out, the dealer gave me a bulk box of .357Mags (Sellier&Bellot 158grn FMJ) for free - I don't think I'll shoot them all :D (I bought a big box of .38Spl, too)
Maybe in the future I'll do a video review of it, since there is nearly no info-material of this gun in the interwebs.
DSC_0874_2.jpg

·
Registered
20,897 Posts
You may (or not) want to get some rubber combat grips for that puppy, if you intend to shoot .357's much. The boot grips help to make concealment easier in a pocket, but I doubt that Switzerland allows that sort of thing. The rubber combat grips will give you more control.....even with .38 Spl........which isn't a tame load in a light revolver like yours. I've always had the same concerns about the front sight. It looks like it will break if struck by something. Bob

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am still smiling when I think of the range trip yesterday :cool: Shot about 70x .38Spl and 50 .357Mag. At first, I didn't have the balls to try the Magnums and just shot .38's.. After an hour or so I finally did it and must say: All the "too-much-recoil"-concerns (which I got from the interwebs) are talk only! .357Mags do not really hurt out of this gun, no part of my hand felt numb after those 50 shots (half of them with Mechanix gloves). Yeah, it kicks like a mule and yeah, it looks like a flamethrower, but I didn't expect anything else from this so lightweight gun.

For carrying the firearm in Switzerland you have to get a "Waffentragschein", which is the equivalent to a weapons carry permit. The thing is that you need to have a real threat for getting it (+ a small firearms test, where they want to see if you can control the firearm and handle it correctly + some theory questions). I will try to get that damn license in a while..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMThXcwx5tg

·
Registered
20,897 Posts
GOOD LUCK with getting the permit! I live in Massachusetts, where it is also difficult to get.....in some places. I live in the western part....which is more rural, farm land. The attitude of the Police in my town is more relaxed, so they allow it. If you can handle .357 in such a light and small gun, you will be better off with the boot grips if you want to carry concealed. I go back and forth from combat grips in winter, to boot grips in summer, to fit my carry situation. I have an old S&W M-36 .38 Spl.. Bob

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some more pictures (now in HQ, not cellphone quality): img52202.jpg p10007102.jpg img52212.jpg
Plus a little question from a revolver-noobie: When the hammer is down, the cylinder is locked. If I pull the hammer back just a little bit, that thing on the bottom of the cylinder moves away and I can turn the cylinder counterclockwise. If I do that, it clicks ;) Now: Does this *click* hurt any part of the trigger or does it have to sound that way? Thanks ;)

·
Premium Member
19,962 Posts
In your third picture, do you see the drag line on the cylinder? That is from the cylinder lock, the rounded metal piece that sticks up from inside the lower frame above the trigger. When you pull the trigger in DA, it gets released so the hand can move the cylinder to the next chamber by engaging the ratchet on the ejector star. When you pull the hammer back in SA, the same thing occurs even though you are not pulling the trigger. The click you hear is the cylinder lock snapping into the next chamber stop - the 6 T looking slots on the outside of the cylinder. Because you are holding the hammer back, it doesn't lock into place and allows you to rotate the cylinder freely. This won't hurt the action but it does contribute to the noticeability of the drag line.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your explanation! That line doesn't really bother me, I even think that line was there since I got the puppy - Yesterday it just wasn't so obvious. What I noticed is that the cylinder doesn't spin as good as lets say in a stainless 686, where it has like a ball-bearing feeling. Seems normal if you watch the videos on titanium cylinders..
Can't wait to order a Galco Ankle Glove holster (+ some speed strips), my prepaid credit card is empty right now :rolleyes:

än schönä Obäd! (have a nice evening!)
Gruess Robin

·
Registered
64 Posts
I liked my 360PD so much I had to have a spare.

The two guns have different front sights.

They can be changed without much expertise.

I have not had a problem with either one and I frequently ankle carry.

I also added Laser Grips. I leave the laser turned off but turn it on when I hear a noise in the garbage can in the middle of the night.

I shoot one of my steel guns when I want to plink or practice. But for carrying, the 360PD can't be beat.

Also, I replaced the Lawyer Lock with the "Plug".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts