Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,938 Posts
Hi, welcome, Jan. 1998. Also I moved this to the correct forum! Also, we like pictures! LOL

It's a .38 special built on the J frame. I doubt it's chrome, either nickle or stainless. But it could be chrome if someone had it hard chromed.

·
Registered
11,845 Posts
I don't have the book in front of me to date the gun, but if it is marked as a model 36 then that is a nickel plated finish. Smith & Wesson 38 Special revolvers with fixed sights are calibrated for 158gr ammunition. I believe on the S&W website somewhere it says that all the model number marked revolvers are safe for plus P, but it does accelerate wear on them so its best to shoot mainly standard pressure ammo at the range

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
Welcome to the forum! welcome01

+ P loads are safe in your snub nose. You will get tired of the recoil in a small revolver LONG before it becomes an issue for the pistol.

Yes, standard 158 grain semi jacketed semi wadcutters will work just fine for anything smaller than a grizzly.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Welcome to the forum Nark.

That's a nice gun but the earliest it could have been produced is 1982 when the barrel pin was eliminated. And no later 1988 when the 36-2 began. So not a 1998 produced Model 36.

It's a pre dash gun,
It's a J frame, not a JM frame,
It has a forged and hammer and trigger, the .265" narrow trigger, and the old style cyl release thumb piece:

1986 - New standard trigger: .312” J frame smooth combat trigger became standard.
1995-96 - MIM parts introduction starting with modern style thumb piece with shaved off lower half, date varies by model.
1996 - August, JM (J Magnum) frame introduced.
1997-8 – MIM hammer, frame mounted firing pin, and hollow MIM trigger all introduced (date and dash number vary by model), and cyl stop stud (frame lug) made integral with frame.

May I ask where exactly on the gun that you found the # Ccs7259?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts