Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got this nice piece, oiled paper to paper box (original) serial #979J9. Was wondering what kinda price I could get for this new looking piece. Had it for several years now. Could use some money?? Any help appreciated. Steve

·
Premium Member
20,721 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! Post some pictures of your 1972 Chiefs Special. Is it a 3" heavy barrel?

·
Banned
2,792 Posts
Being a 36-1 I believe it would HAVE to have the 3" heavy barrel - as I understand it that is the only configuration for the 36-1. The 36 no dash was being made at the same time, and was even made as a 3" - but with a tapered - as opposed to the "bull" or "heavy" barrel (of the 36-1).
I believe the real questions are
1) round or square butt? and
2) blued or nickel plated finish?
If you really want reasonable appraisal numbers, you will need to post multiple high quality pictures of both sides, and in the case of a nickel gun, also the rear of the cylinder, the underside of the barrel, and both sides of the grip frame (handle) with the wood grips removed.

Reactions: Wiregrassguy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes
Being a 36-1 I believe it would HAVE to have the 3" heavy barrel - as I understand it that is the only configuration for the 36-1. The 36 no dash was being made at the same time, and was even made as a 3" - but with a tapered - as opposed to the "bull" or "heavy" barrel (of the 36-1).
I believe the real questions are
1) round or square butt? and
2) blued or nickel plated finish?
If you really want reasonable appraisal numbers, you will need to post multiple high quality pictures of both sides, and in the case of a nickel gun, also the rear of the cylinder, the underside of the barrel, and both sides of the grip frame (handle) with the wood grips removed.
Thanks for the input. Will post pictures shortly..

·
Banned
2,792 Posts
I was being coy and wound up sounding stupid. :rolleyes: :LOL:
I wouldn't go so far as to say that.
I didn't even notice who it was posting the comment Guy, or else I would have realized I was preachin to the choir. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
It is best to sell guns when you don't need the money, because it is easier to say no to lowball offers. Having said that, if you are selling this is a good time because interest in older revolvers and prices are at an all-time high.

Using my Model 36 tapered barrel as an example (pic below showing the tapered barrel), the replacement cost today would be about $600~650 with original stocks and no signs of use except a faint turn ring (no box). Add another $100 for an original box and papers.

If yours is almost new and in the original box with all the papers, a dealer would probably list it for sale for $800+, and maybe accept $50 less after some haggling. However, the same dealer would only offer about 60% of that price to a private seller if you are in a hurry, so maybe $500 at best. One I know offered me $600 - but only in trade for another gun, not in cash. Dealers will usually offer more in trade than in cash.

In a private sale you can usually get about $100~200 more than from a dealer, but less than the dealer asking price.

Depending on where you live, there may be FFL fees involved if you are not able to transfer a gun directly to another private party.

Air gun Trigger Wood Revolver Gun barrel
Revolver Wood Trigger Gun barrel Wood stain

1 - 10 of 10 Posts