Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think I have ever heard the debate of the .44 Special vs the .357 Magnum on whitetail deer. The .44 Special with good handloads and the right bullet will drop a deer. But what about a good 170 grain SWC moving at 1,300 fps from the .357? So which of these two is better?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Heck Dave, ole Elmer did it for years with the 44Spl before they came out with the 44Mag. As for your comparison, I'd have to honestly say that both would do the job equally well. You can only kill a Deer so dead. It's like the guy who complained to John Nosler over the phone about an Elk he'd killed, saying the then new Partition had failed because the Elk didn't drop in it's tracks. John politely asked,"At what point in the animal's death did the bullet fail?"

·
Registered
182 Posts
At the SHOT Show few years back, I told Bob Hayden of Sierra bullets about my "disappointment" with his bullets. I had developed a load with his 180 grain boat tail in my .30-06 that had given me two one-hole groups at 100 yards, but up til that point in time, I had only killed 4 deer with it and a friend had killed 3 more with my rifle and load. In all cases, the deer had dropped right at the shot, but in two cases, the core and jacket had separated. I explained how disappointed I was that his bullets didn't stand up. :roll: He offered to buy them back, but I had to say absolutely not!

As far as the 44 special/357 debate, I believe the 44 special would give a small edge due to the increased diameter of the bullet having a chance to cut an artery the smaller bullet might have missed. I can't test that theory in OK because the special is not a legal caliber for deer in this state.

·
Registered
19,798 Posts
Ya' know.....the difference between a .357 (.36) and a .44 is only .08...... hardly enough to make a difference. I always though the advantage of a .44 was those big ol', honkin' 240 gr. bullets!
:shock: Bob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts