Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never loaded lead bullets of any type and basically have only seen pictures so very limited knowledge.

I have always held to the belief that .357 magnum should be roll crimped due to recoil in a revolver and apparently there is also a need for tubular magazine lever rifles.

The pictures usually show a tapered grove but the description specifically says no cannelure. Some even seem to have a ring above the grove that looks to be smaller than the nose but maybe the same size as the base. Example Meister Hard Cast MB-38-1587. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010735677?pid=170698

So the dumb question is, can you safely roll crimp using this grove?

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Forget the roll crimp. Use a taper crimp. Extremely secure. Even better, it doesn't matter if all your brass is not exactly the same length. Sincerely. bruce.

·
Registered
13,008 Posts
When in doubt use a Lee collet crimper. Cannelure or not, a collet crimper will make it's on retention groove. What I use on my 452's for the 460 and my 44 RM handloads.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
747 Posts
I have never loaded lead bullets of any type and basically have only seen pictures so very limited knowledge.

I have always held to the belief that .357 magnum should be roll crimped due to recoil in a revolver and apparently there is also a need for tubular magazine lever rifles.

The pictures usually show a tapered grove but the description specifically says no cannelure. Some even seem to have a ring above the grove that looks to be smaller than the nose but maybe the same size as the base. Example Meister Hard Cast MB-38-1587. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010735677?pid=170698

So the dumb question is, can you safely roll crimp using this grove?
Not a dumb question, as the one in the link you provided doesn't look the same as a cannelure in a jacketed bullet.
The answer is, yes, that is the intended groove for the roll crimp.
Good luck, and have fun!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Lead bullets generally have a crimp groove. You can roll crimp over the shoulder, if the bullet has one. You can just taper crimp, but the last couple of bullets in the cylinder could walk out of the case and tie up the cylinder.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Yes you can safely roll crimp in that groove. That is what it is there for. Perhaps it is a mis-print. Perhaps the description is differentiating between a “cannelure” and a “crimp groove”.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I use the regular Lee Factory Crimp die. I feel the one with the collet resizes too much of the bullet back to 357.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts