Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
S&W 686 PLUS 7" barrel

I recently got the pistol above and want to shoot it around 200 yards on a regular basis. This will be used for prairie dogs and sage rats.

Years back, I was shooting 158 gr jacketed hollow points, but never shot at the 200 yard mark. Doing some research today, I'm finding shooters are using 158, 170 and 180 grain bullets. These shooters like the heavier bullet because it carries a better BC. Whereas other people are using 110 and 125 grain bullets because it is lighter, faster and drops less at greater distances.

Looking for recommendations.

·
Super Moderator
14,019 Posts
Well, my primary recommendation is to select the appropriate tool for the job. I am sure you have your reasons for choosing a magnum revolver for shooting small targets at 200 yards...

As this is your task, and you appear to do be committed to this, mea culpa.

A quick Internet search for ".357 revolver varmint loads" will turn up several recommendations - including stories of people that did silhouette shooting at that distance reliably. The load recommendations vary in these anecdotes. That makes me think that selection comes down to personal preference and training.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information. I did a lot of checking, but not under the title you mentioned. I'll do so now.
Thanks

·
Registered
19,959 Posts
Marc put it eloquently (as usual). A 357 revolver is basically incapable of killing anything at 200 yards because unless it is in a very solid rest you'll never hit it. Get yourself a 22-250 with a scope and be happy.

I have a 460 XVR and I'd never consider shooting it past 150 yards when hunting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you're only shooting to 150 yards with your 460, why are you wasting your time and money on such a fine handgun.

As others have mentioned, it can be done.

The 357 is very capable of taking sage rats and prairie dogs at 200 yards. Using a Burris 3-12 scope with the ballistic plex reticle makes it a little easier at this distance. I could take one of my speciality pistol and easily make a 200 yard shot, but I want to use the 357.

Thanks for the ballistic table.

The book, Hell I Was There, is a very good book.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I've shot iron-sighted handguns at a lot longer distance than 200 yards...but not at a living target, varmint or not.

Try a 55 gallon barrel at 400, 500 or 600 yards. I've done it. You get just as satisfying of a 'thump' when you connect.

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
If you're only shooting to 150 yards with your 460, why are you wasting your time and money on such a fine handgun.

As others have mentioned, it can be done.

The 357 is very capable of taking sage rats and prairie dogs at 200 yards. Using a Burris 3-12 scope with the ballistic plex reticle makes it a little easier at this distance. I could take one of my speciality pistol and easily make a 200 yard shot, but I want to use the 357.

Thanks for the ballistic table.

The book, Hell I Was There, is a very good book.
Another forum member and myself shoot clays @100 paces when we get together. I have a 27-2/5" (1973) that's dialed in with 14.8grs, AA #9 and Remington 140gr SJHPs ~1500fps. This load is for this Smith, it hasn't been tried through my 686P/6", also very accurate; in fact, it took down a moving stock killing feral dog ~125gr yards.

Looking forward to seeing your 200 yard range reports, welcome to the forum. :)

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Back in the early 80s when handgun metallic silhouette was popular....

I loaded a truck load of 357 hard cast 173 gr 'Keith' SWCs over a dollop of 2400.

It was shout enough to knock down those 50 lb rams at 200 meters.

I've shot my share of long range handgun loads...Long range prairie dog plinkin' is a great past time.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I shot a 357 Maximum in metal silhouette targets out to 200 yards very successfully. The power with it was close to a 44 Magnum. I used 180 or 200 gr bullets.

I saw more than a few 357 Magnums all with longer barrels and at least 158 gr bullets used by many shooters. Any slower pistol powder will work based on availability and accuracy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts